THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    What chronograph for blackpowder ctg. rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What chronograph for blackpowder ctg. rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:
I depart tomorrow for Africa so I should wait and post my question upon my return. But, patience is not a virtue I possess so...

I use a cheap Chrony chronograph and shooting large charges of black powder screws up the readings. I assume the chorny is too close, but is quite small and don't want to move it back too much. I would like to buy another chronograph.

What chronograph would you recommend for bp rifles? Something with a large window to shoot through as I have to set the machine quite a distance from the muzzle so the black powder blast does not mess with the readings.

Also, I just began shooting a .577 howdah pistol and want to shoot safely through the machine at a reasonable distance.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the easiest and cheapest thing to try is to replace the rods with either longer rods or longer rods with a dogleg to make a wider bullet pathway and replacing the diffusers with longer pieces of plastic.
I don't know generally how close a projectile needs to be to the sensors but a big ball or bullet should be pretty easy to pick up even a little farther above the sensors.
Not sure, either if the diffuser material matters. A long strip of white poster board or picture matting may even work.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal:

I've chrono'd a 577-500 2 3/4" with my LabRadar with good results. The screens on my Oehler seemed to register the smoke and occasional stripped paper patch and would fault.

Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a sundial. sofa

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's funny.
I have used my Crony for BP loads quite a bit.
The rods have nothing to do with it; they are just to keep the sun screens up and those are fairly useless too. Just keep the photo sensors out of direct sunlight.
I put Saran wrap over the readout screen so the BP does not embed itself into it and make mess
Otherwise, move it out a bit.
Howda Pistol? What difference does it make what the velocity is? It is slow.

Posts: 17006 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That's funny.
I have used my Crony for BP loads quite a bit.
The rods have nothing to do with it; they are just to keep the sun screens up and those are fairly useless too. Just keep the photo sensors out of direct sunlight.
I put Saran wrap over the readout screen so the BP does not embed itself into it and make mess
Otherwise, move it out a bit.
Howda Pistol? What difference does it make what the velocity is? It is slow.

Would Saran Wrap between the muzzle and the chronograph keep the unburnt powder/smoke from interfering?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9325 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, My first Chrony had the readout screen on the face of the unit. A blackpowder wad took that screen out fairly quickly. My current Chrony has the remote screen, much easier to read. I mounted it on a camera tripod and made two modifications to protect it. First is a strip of galvanized sheet steel as wide as the unit and about 14 inches long. It is sandwiched between the unit and tripod with a three inch 90 degree bend toward the shooter about two inches in front of the unit. This has taken several hits from wads but protects the unit. The sun screen rods I've replaced with 1/8 inch wood dowels, rather one of those take a hit than the original steel rods. I've also marked the dowels with red bands about three inches above the point where they mount on the unit and green bands about four inches above those giving me my OK to shoot limits. I place the Chrony 20 feet from the muzzle, has worked well for me for years.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive

Would Saran Wrap between the muzzle and the chronograph keep the unburnt powder/smoke from interfering?

It might, but I would think it would be a PITA changing it between shots.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.
I will purchase the Lab Radar this fall if there is time to do a lot of shooting. Winter is almost here now so maybe wait to spring.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66666 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect you're getting false readings because of all the unburned powder, maybe card wads and whatever else goes flying down range with the shot? I have Pact chrono with the larger, wedge shaped side panels and the opaque top panel.

What I ended up doing and, while it is a PITA, it works admirably, is to tape one sheet of news paper to the front screen, covering the entire screen from top to bottom, side to side. Using blue painters tape it doesn't take long and you can fire several shots through it, always enough to get a good string of readings. It appears to effectively stop the unburned powder and the card wads I use in my BP cartridges.

As I'm a bit late to the party you might have already purchased the Lab Radar. If not, the newspaper has worked well for me and I can't see any reason it wouldn't help others.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrecked two of the same chrony's.
BP patch thru the face finished it off.
Had several holes thru the screen from unburnt powder.

I put a square of 1/4" plexiglas in front of the next one. Then damned if I let a 'friend' shoot and he hit one of the metal rods and scrambled that one. "oh damn, sorry 'bout that" Grrrrr!

I'm fully convinced the only reason they put the works in front of the muzzle is so they can sell more of 'em to fools that buy another.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a LabRadar and tested it. It's away for the winter now but what an amazing chronograph. Exteremly accurate, is to the side of the muzzle so it can't get hit by the projectile, wads, etc., easy to set up, and a pleasure to use. come spirng I will chronograph all of my firearms with all of the loads just for giggles. My Chrony will be put up for sale at the spring gun show. I have extra rods and screens in case it gets struck.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa