New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article on lead poisoning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since BPCR shooters are routinely exposed to lead when casting, loading and shooting you might be interested in the following article just published in NRA's Shooting Sports USA magazine.
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201410/#/32

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
They mention children whom of course are more sensitive to lead but much worse is a pregnant woman .They should not be shooting where lead is present. They have now BTW linked autism in part to chemicals that the kid gets while still in the womb. Chemicals can be very dangerous !

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reverted to only casting outdoors in the back yard and away from my family. If you're going to shoot BPCR you don't have a lot of options except lead bullets and lots of them. The information is good and critical to the sport. The NRA has seemed to have shot themselves in the foot here and given the anti's some more ammo. We will likely all end up shooting monolithic bullets one of these days like it not. My buffalo guns and muzzleloaders don't do well with copper or bronze. Ronny Barrett and Barnes will certainly get another boost in sales.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys at Cast Boolits tend to have much more casting experience than the rest of the public.
It is rare that any of them have elevated lead levels. When they do it is usually a pistol shooter that shoots indoors in a poorly ventilated range.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes that's about right !BTW EDTA a chelate is used to remove lead from the system.Also get an engineer to check and improve the system at your range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW my personal experience was at an indoor pistol range , poorly ventilated . All the regular shooters had lead poisoning symptoms .Each had a different set of symptoms !!! They may not be tthe "typical " symptoms !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been fairly careless handling the stuff over the years as a caster and swager. Only time I was ever checked, though, was after getting a whopping headache melting scrap on the kitchen stove in college while making duck decoy anchors. No lead issue, just a ventilation issue.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post