THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    New casting pots with built-in PID controllers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New casting pots with built-in PID controllers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you may have seen my article titled, Casting with a PID Controller, that was recently published in The Single Shot Exchange Magazine and also posted on my website. It was submitted a few months ago and is already outdated since both RCBS and Lyman have recently introduced new casting furnaces with PID controllers built in. The RCBS ProMelt 2, RCBS Easy Melt and the Lyman Mag 25 feature easy to program and use PID feature. All hold 25 lbs of alloy. The RCBS ProMelt 2 and Lyman Mag 25 are bottom pour designs but can also be used for ladle dipping. The RCBS Easy Melt model for ladle dipping only is an especially good buy. MidwayUSA is offering a limited time sale for $109.99 & shipping is free. The regular Midway price is $129.99 and RCBS lists the unit for $149.95.

It seems the casting equipment suppliers are finally starting to wake up to the use of digital technology. No doubt there will be more offerings to come. I bet Lee won't be left in the dust for long and Waage will have to upgrade their pot to stay competitive.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that, just after I finished adding a pid controller to my pot. Lets hear if for C³ (cheap Chinese crap) electronics.
Truly amazing what you can buy today.
C.G.B.

Posts: 1088 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I have a RCBS furnace which is controlled with a separate PID, I ordered an Easy Melt from MidwayUSA yesterday & it’s on backorder. So I probably won’t qualify for the $25 rebate but it’s still a good deal without it.

Below is some feedback on the RCBS Easy Melt from a guy that recently bought one. He also has a Waage pot controlled with a separate PID.

Wayne
=================================
I ordered and received a RCBS Easy Melt from Midway. I set it up next to my Waage w/PID controller to make a comparison. The Easy Melt has a built in PID. My observations:
Price RCBS $109.99 + $11.49 shipping and additional $25.00 rebate from RCBS (must purchase by 3/31/18) – advantage Easy Melt
RCBS holds more alloy and no thermocouple in the pot which is required with a separate PID. – advantage Easy Melt
RCBS held the temperature more constant than the Waage while casting 20 bullets each. – advantage Easy Melt
RCBS made in China. – advantage Waage
For the price, I couldn’t pass this up as a second pot. After using the Easy Melt today, my Waage w/PID is my second pot. I was pleasantly surprised by the Easy Melt’s performance, considering the low price. I think having the PID as an integral part of the unit is giving it better temperature stability.
I just hope the Easy Melt holds up……………………..

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. My old Lee Production Pot IVs are getting pretty tired. Might be time ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered up the RCBS one from Midway. I had looked at the BACO pots before and they seem high quality too. But with the temp controller at this price Ill give this one a shot.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

If you subscribe to The Single Shot Exchange Magazine you can ignore this post since the article was just published in the most recent June 2018 edition. Otherwise, if you’re interested in a detailed evaluation of the RCBS Easy Melt casting furnace, click on the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/Evalu...urnace_with_PID.html

Wayne