New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPCR Bore Leading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you’re a BPCR shooter, wipe between shots and have ever experienced bore leading in your rifle you may be interested in my short article recently published in the October edition of the Single Shot Exchange Magazine. Titled, “My Bore Leading Saga”, it can be found at the following location: http://www.texas-mac.com/My_BP...re_Leading_Saga.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great article Wayne. I had no idea such tiny variations would make such a big difference. As you said, there's always more to learn.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wayne, learn something all the time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Wayne. I have been shooting BPCR off and on for 30-some years, but consider myself a newbie. Great tips here.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the blowing in the barrel to soften the powder residue. What oil do you you in the water/oil mix?

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use NAPA Soluble Cutting-Grinding Oil which can be purchased at most any NAPA automotive stores. The part number is 765-1526. But other soluble oils used by machinist may work just as well.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wayne - that struck a chord of memory for me!
We have an event here in OZ with the Big Game Rifle called Black powder Express. I Use a 500 3" in a Ruger No1 for both it & Group 3 events (full Nitro loads). My BP loads are Paper Patched, I might not have any leading issues; but I did have a sudden bad loss of accuracy in the closing stage. I did a quick clean of my bore mid way through the event; everything was going great up at the 10 round mark. I have pre-wetted patches to use, these were rather damp when applied, they cleaned well; but how much I dried the barrel I can't remember now - seems like I didn't do a good enough job & this does seems to explain what possibly did happen to me!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 29 June 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post