The Accurate Reloading Forums
BPCR Bore Leading

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5031007002/m/1081065452

08 October 2019, 21:24
TexasMac
BPCR Bore Leading
If you’re a BPCR shooter, wipe between shots and have ever experienced bore leading in your rifle you may be interested in my short article recently published in the October edition of the Single Shot Exchange Magazine. Titled, “My Bore Leading Saga”, it can be found at the following location: http://www.texas-mac.com/My_BP...re_Leading_Saga.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.
14 October 2019, 06:34
Omnivorous_Bob
Great article Wayne. I had no idea such tiny variations would make such a big difference. As you said, there's always more to learn.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"
18 October 2019, 01:14
craigster
Thanks Wayne, learn something all the time.
14 December 2019, 18:40
Bill/Oregon
Outstanding Wayne. I have been shooting BPCR off and on for 30-some years, but consider myself a newbie. Great tips here.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
13 April 2020, 21:37
Nordic2
I have seen the blowing in the barrel to soften the powder residue. What oil do you you in the water/oil mix?
13 April 2020, 22:55
TexasMac
I use NAPA Soluble Cutting-Grinding Oil which can be purchased at most any NAPA automotive stores. The part number is 765-1526. But other soluble oils used by machinist may work just as well.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.
19 April 2020, 20:40
Nordic2
Thanks!
03 July 2020, 17:09
93x64mm
Thanks Wayne - that struck a chord of memory for me!
We have an event here in OZ with the Big Game Rifle called Black powder Express. I Use a 500 3" in a Ruger No1 for both it & Group 3 events (full Nitro loads). My BP loads are Paper Patched, I might not have any leading issues; but I did have a sudden bad loss of accuracy in the closing stage. I did a quick clean of my bore mid way through the event; everything was going great up at the 10 round mark. I have pre-wetted patches to use, these were rather damp when applied, they cleaned well; but how much I dried the barrel I can't remember now - seems like I didn't do a good enough job & this does seems to explain what possibly did happen to me!