New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod Caribou Chappel knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was given a Roderick Caribou Chappel knife.
The blade is labeled "King Kodiak Bowie" SN 01
It must have been some undertaking to build this large bowie knife.
The knife is marked March 17th. 2004
I think also states Arlington Washington.
Any one know of this maker?

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's been making knives in the Washington State area for a long time, since the 70s. His designs are different and difficult to grind. People either like them or they hate them. They tend to command higher prices. He gained a reputation for being undependable as far as handling orders, paying for materials, and delivering knives for which he had taken deposits years ago. Supposedly he cleaned up his act later, but no one that knows him will give him a deposit. That said, his work is usually very high quality, but he used walrus ivory, among other natural materials that can and often do crack, which detracts from value.

I am not sure if he is still alive. Here is a number that is about 7 years old, so it probably will not work 360-435-7195. The last place that I know he worked was in Everett, Wa in 2009.

It sounds like you have a nice knife that is fairly valuable. Post a pic if you can.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post

I have several and some are shown here with a 1911 for size reference. Because Mr. Chappel is a Native American he is allowed to work walrus Tusk Ivory as shown here.

Last word I had and it is several years old now, was that he was alive and well and living in Anacortes Washington.

These knives are made with the stock reduction method on a belt grinder and buffers. He has the blades heat treated by the local heat treater.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMCI*- Man what classic Rod Chappel knives. Rod had a shop in Lynnwood for a few years and I use to have him tune up my knives before hunting season. He was very interesting to talk to and loved to play Chess. I came to his shop one day to chat and he had his back to me and was pounding on a vise with one of the knives he was making for an Army Ranger from Fort Lewis. He would pound a while then look down the blade and then stab a 55 gallon drum. It was most intimidating. The knife never lost it's edge. As I remember this knife had one of the holes in the blade and he explained to me that if need be the Ranger could pound the knife into a rock and hook onto it to repel down the mountain. Is that what you believe the hole is for? I love Rod Chappel knives even though they look a little "Hollywood" to me.
Very nice collection you have there!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top large knife looks exactly like the one I own, size, bolster and blade wise. Only my handle is made of a solid piece of black micarta. The knife sheath is black thick leather with a large brass ring. The overall knife very heavy. My dens African mask, spears, swords and American arrowhead collection. The knife seems to draw the most attention.
The blade and it's back are equally shaving sharp. So much so I now keep it locked in the gun safe.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote