Find
Notify
Tools

Best oil for storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings,
I just received my first custom knife made by Rick Menefee with a D2 blade. What kind of oil should I use on the blade to protect it in between uses? Will gun oil or Break Free suffice?
Also, what would be the best angle to use when the need to sharpen it arises? I have a Gatco sharpening system for this purpose.
Thank you.
Jess

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
THERE IS ONLY ONE PROPER OIL FOR A WONDERFUL KNIFE LIKE THAT, BUT IT IS HARD TO COME BY.

YOU WILL NEED TO CHARTER A BOAT WITH A COMPETENT CREW AND HEAD TO SEA TO FIND A SPERM WHALE. ONCE YOU HAVE TAKEN HIM (THE MALE PRODUCES BETTER OIL) YOU WILL HAVE TO RENDER THE BLUBBER TO GET YOUR SPERM WHALE OIL. THAT'S THE BEST!!!! animal

Seriously, between uses, use Renaissance wax,. Beats oil hands down, leaves no messy residue.
If you doubt my suggestion, Google it. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sperm oil , or spermaceti is found in the head of the whale NOT in the blubber ! Eeker It was for many years the finest instrument oil available. Oil rendered from blubber is a different oil. Know your whales !
Clean and dry D2 shouldn't require any coating .If you want ,use Renaissance Wax or RIG preservative grease

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's + 2 for Renaissance Wax, thank you. BTW, there's a very informative write up about this product at the website of Fort Henry Custom Knives.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You mean you shouldn't just make sure the last animal you dress before storage is a big fat hog? Big Grin I always figured lard was the way to go.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Guns, knives, you name it, you won't find a better lubricant.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a two products made by corrosion X on all my thread gages ect.. here in my machineshop.

I use Corosion X for lubrication that stays on and as a rust nuetralizer on tooling thats has started rusting before its been phosphated. I have never used anything as good.

Corosion X HD is a non hardening gel like coating, thats is alot like cosmaline but very easy to remove, for lont term storage. Both are pricy but well worth the money. I am down near Corpus and theres plenty salty humidty here.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used BreakFree, and Rig for several years.

For the knives I hunt with I use Ballistol.
It is non toxic to humans.

On Sperm Oil.
Back in the late 1960's early 1970's I was given some by an "old timer", who told me to use it on the trigger, and hammers sears of my 1911's when Bullseye target shooting...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Oil of clove. Thats what the Japanese use on their blades.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a knifemaker I have tried pretty much everything ... including the high dollar mil-spec skin forming sprays.

Johnson's Floor Wax work better than anything I've tried for protecting carbon steel knife blades.

Hard to beat works and is cheap.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
From multiple independent tests of available preservative/rust preventative/lubricants, the best is EEZOX, by a strong margin.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...f-Rust-Preventatives

In this test done by Brownell's, WD-40 came out at or near the top when it comes to preventing rust.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody out there have any experience with Prolix as a rust preventive and for long term storage?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a LOT of Prolix on my guns. I actually know the owner of the company. It is great stuff.

On the hunting knives I will be using to cut meat I will be eating I use Ballistol.

Ballistol is nontoxic for Human or animal consumption. I even use it on insect bites and minor cuts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Japanese sword makers recommend using Choji oil for their blades which is 99 parts mineral oil and 1 part clove oil. Using pure clove oil on the blade will cause it to rust.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
From multiple independent tests of available preservative/rust preventative/lubricants, the best is EEZOX, by a strong margin.

+1 That stuff is amazing.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyhunter:
Japanese sword makers recommend using Choji oil for their blades which is 99 parts mineral oil and 1 part clove oil. Using pure clove oil on the blade will cause it to rust.

Eeker !! Thanks for that info. tu2

Why add the clove if it is mostly mineral oil?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote