THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Warthog sharpener...anyone ever used it?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog sharpener...anyone ever used it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I talked with a man that bragged on this unit. Has anyone used it?

http://www.v-sharp.com/product...09.php?ProductID=107

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I messed with it at a gun show, seemed to work fairly well, didn't like the price and already have Lansky

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, my partner bought one and I got to sharpen a bunch of knives with it. For certain knives, especially long blades like kitchen knives and butcher knives, it works very well. Even my wife noticed. It works better on long blades than Lansky.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have one, which I bought in South Africa, and like it for long kitchen knives or general use knives. I wouldn't use it on my expensive skinning knives though, preferring some of the more precise systems like the Lansky, where the only contact is with the knife edge.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used one but if you're sharpening challenged it looks ok. The grit is too coarse for my liking but will produce a good "hack and slash" kind of edge.

Also pulling a knife through any sharpener is truly a crude way of sharpening. I admit to doing it lately though as I'm getting a bit tired of working up a nice edge on the water stone.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also pulling a knife through any sharpener is truly a crude way of sharpening. I admit to doing it lately though as I'm getting a bit tired of working up a nice edge on the water stone.

Amen to that!

By the way, they do offer the Warthog with more than one grit. My partner's setup had steels too, although I didn't try those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good ceramic rod system will do the same thing for less money.

Lansky makes a nice ceramic rod system that will do you right. http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LCS5D.php I have it and carry it in my pack.

Spyderco also makes a nice ceramic rod system. There's is a bit more complex and larger. I have it too and it works very well and does many things, but for just sharpening my hunting knives the Lansky works just as good. http://www.spyderco.com/catalo...tails.php?product=77

The Lansky ceramic rod system can be had for less than $20. The Spyderco system for around $55. Both are considerably less than this other thing.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I have one that was a gift... I love it !
It sits on my workbench and is always ready to put an edge on all my knives with a few quick swipes. I still use the Arkansas stone to finish an edge if needed... but rarely use anything but the Warthog !
Very sharp and very fast.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one and IT WORKS very well and quickly. Best system I know of for a non-professional knife sharpener, like myself. Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a Loray/Lansky.

One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
freind of mine has an old grinder he put a leather strap on a 6 " x 1" wooden disk or a 6" puck on 1 side then a polishing wheel on the other side it is the best sharpener i have ever seen razor sharp in seconds the polishing helps it also

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
I have two of them. One I take with me on hunting and fishing trips the other stays at home.

They work very well and I have no problem touching up the blade on a Randall or other custom knives with them.

If you have a quality knife that needs touching up don't use the diamond rods that come with it, just use the fine grit.

I've not pulled the Lanskey out of its box since I got these but I'll never put my sharpening stones away either lol.

Good product for the money.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine for quick, easy and good job, but you can't get up close to handle on short blade folders, and particles of steel that you're taking off will scratch your fine knives. But for kitchen knives and using knives that you don't mind minor scratches on, hard to beat for convenience. The polishing steels that come with it are great. I have many sharpeners, and have found that no one is best for everything, except a good stone.

Steve

Posts: 49 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have one that I've had for a year now and I sharpen all of my knives with it without a problem.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I talked with a man that bragged on this unit. Has anyone used it?

http://www.v-sharp.com/product...09.php?ProductID=107

Contact RUSTY over on the double rifle forum, he has one of them, and will be happy to tell you how it works!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used one on a hog hunt and it worked great. I used it on both my hunting knife and my small pocket knife. Loved it. I use a Lansky on my smaller knives, but this is much better for the longer blades.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have the V sharp Classic
I bought it several years ago at a DSC Convention. Sits on my kitchen counter and does a great job every day! I see they have a newer model now. I have been very happy with mine.
I think they offer various grits and aslo steel type rod attachments for touch up jobs.

The newer model has snap adjustments that I think would make it easier to change from thin kitchen knives to thicker hunting knives.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thank You All,
After months of looking at every sharpener a man can get, it is the Warthog as the best out there.
It is everything the Lansky is but 2X faster as it does both sides at the same time.

I called the Tyson Chicken packing plant in the next town.
I asked what sharpening method they used on the production floor.....Warthog!
If it is good enough for production it has to be fast and tough.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I love mine. Big Grin