New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Puma White Hunter Needs help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Puma White Hunter. Someone worked it over with a wire wheel. Can anyone suggest someone to refinish the blade? I am not looking to restore it.
Thanks

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would just use some emory paper on a flat file, or a flat stone, and restore all the surfaces to their original contour and finish. Start with 220 and finish with 400; 600 if you want.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I have too many irons in the fire to do it myself.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave it alone, if you're not interesting in restoring it (good decision, why bother, they are by no means rare AND, without doubt, the costs would exceed the restored value), then use it and enjoy it for what it is. The wire brushing didn't affect the basic quality of the blade.

Otherwise, as suggested above, do it yourself. Hard to believe you can't find enough time to run a block of sand paper over it while watching TV football games or whatever. If you pay someone to do it, and they do a good job, you'll be paying them more or nearly so than it is worth IMO. But it's your money, your time, and your knife, so do what you think is best. This free advice might be worth its cost.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your advice is probably worth quite a bit more than it's cost. I probably am just enough of an OCD type to spend way too much time on it. My thought was that someone who knew what he was doing with a belt sander could in a about 30 minutes to a good clean up on it. When I get started on something like this, my patience level is such that it's hard to put it down and come back to it. I can see myself spending an entire day with emory paper of various grits. That's what I meant by not having enough time.

Mark Twain