Find
Notify
Tools

looking for a new pocket knife.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm looking for a new pocket knife. I've been carrying a Gerber for 5 years, but I'm ready for something better that will HOLD AN EDGE. This Gerber does not hold a very good edge. I'm looking for a 3" to 4" folding, one-handed operation, smooth edge knife with a pocket clip. Preferably a wood handle. Any suggestions? Do any of you custom guys build pocket knives?

Also, do I need to be looking for a carbon steel knife instead of just stainless? I appreciate any info you guys can give me.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Native with S30V blade.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Kershaw blur.....the best and with free resharpening as needed. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, there is NO contest between the 440A steel of the Kershaw and the S30V of the Spyderco. There are other pocket knives besides Spyderco (possibly including Kershaw?) with S30V but if you want premium edge holding ability, then don't get a lesser steel. Spyderco's VG-10 is pretty good as well, but not up to S30V.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go first class and get a Puma. Don't cut yourself.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I'm looking for a new pocket knife. I've been carrying a Gerber for 5 years, but I'm ready for something better that will HOLD AN EDGE. This Gerber does not hold a very good edge. I'm looking for a 3" to 4" folding, one-handed operation, smooth edge knife with a pocket clip. Preferably a wood handle. Any suggestions? Do any of you custom guys build pocket knives?

Also, do I need to be looking for a carbon steel knife instead of just stainless? I appreciate any info you guys can give me.

Spyderco and Benchmade and others do make some nice knives that are reasonably priced with premium steels like S-30V in the $100-$200 price range.

If you can afford a step up you might look into Chris Reeves' Sabenza's. They come in 2 different sizes and a wide variety of wood and/or decorative scales. Reeves' has won the knife manufacturers quality award so many times they should name the award after him. They aren't cheap but superbly made knives......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dj:

The Spyderco Native II (which is the one with the S30V steel blade, NOT the Native III) is commonly available on line for less than $70. I just saw one on ebay for $59. For the money, it is a very hard deal to beat. I've carried one for several years daily. There's no telling how many deer and hogs it has skinned gutted, and quartered.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Matter of taste, I guess. I have owned the Kershaw Blur models in both the S30V steel and Sandvik 13C26. Did not see a noticeable difference between the two, not enough anyway to justify the higher price. I am not knocking Spyderco, they make a fine knife.

A few things I appreciate with Kershaw is the quick opening "speed safe" feature, the length and shape of the blade, the liner lock, and their quick no charge response when a knife is sent back for sharpening. knife
Site I suggest for purchases:
http://www.thebladeshop.com/

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may sound radical, have you considered an OPINEL carbon steel folder? Cost is low and can be touched up in a min.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JIm Yackley:
This may sound radical, have you considered an OPINEL carbon steel folder? Cost is low and can be touched up in a min.

Not a bad idea at all. I have an old Cold Steel knife that was fashioned in a similar manner. Opinel type lock, and carbon steel. It is a bit too bulky for pocket carry, but these look neat.

http://www.opiknife.com/?gclid...jFn54CFQwdswodv0XukQ

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
E-S,

Good reco's already.

I have a preferred folder, too; though not the wooden handle as you prefer.

Take a gander at the Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunters. I like the Spear Point and have used (keep giving them away as alot of folks really take a shine to them) several in Black although currently using an orange handled one. Got an extra in my Rucksack; 'cause the German Forester is probably gonna want one after the conclusion of this weeks hunt, too.

It's thin and the clip holds it perfectly right where I grab for it - in my right rear pocket. At right around $20.00 a good value knife.

Have fun with your selection....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to use the knive to cut, skin and butcher a lot of animals get a Puma.

They star sharp long, and they are easy to sharpen with a diamond "stone".

If I wanted a general puropse utility pocket knive I woud take a look at a Cold Steel.
I would get a blade with a regular edge and a serrated edge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmade dejavoo model 740 Bob Lum design. Made with s30V steel and G-10 scales. You will love the feel and smoothness of this knife. I think I fingered every knife at shot show and this was my favorite. Perfect size for all around use (3.95") blade. If you need it smaller they make a mini with 3.32" blade. Sell for around $100

Also Beretta's Harsey folder CMP-S30V ran a close second. $130.00's

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I am siding with jawheeler.

Long boring story... wife and youngest in my truck, totaled, we were following in UHaul in our move to MO. Anyway, wife was alive but choking to death on seatbelt, without hesitation (or honestly even thinking about it) my hand went for my Benchmade DeJaVoo. Faster than the eye can follow wife and youngest daughter were freed from their restraints to await emergency responders.

As you can imagine I won't part with mine. It is made with the vaunted S30V steel and takes a wicked, wicked edge thanks to Mr. Lanskey's sharpener.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks billinthewild,

I just ordered a Kershaw Blur S30V from The Blade Shop.....I think that knife will suit my needs best. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a Fallkniven 45 TK3.
The blade is fantastic. A work of art, especially with the micarta scales.
You can find them online for about $190.
A folder for a lifetime.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The BM 890 Torrent or the cheaper Sog Aegis are great assisted opening knives. The Sog is my EDC.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Just got my Kershaw Blur 1670S30V in the mail this afternoon and couldn't be more happy with it!! It's razor sharp right out of the box.....and it opens very smooth and quick.

Thanks "billinthewild" for helping me choose a knife and where to buy it. The Blade Shop e-mailed me right after I ordered it 2 weeks ago, saying it was on backorder and that I would be notified when it was shipped. Well I got an e-mail Wednesday morning saying it had been shipped and I got it today (only 2 days later). I'm very satisfied. I will likely buy from them again. MSRP on this knife is $139.99 and I got it for $83 including shipping.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
German made Boker offer great pocket knives worth looking at.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my Laguiole, those are sweet knifes for everyday use.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are about as many opinions on brand and style of pocketknife as there are knives. Also on blade steel. Just don't buy cheap; look for one of the better steels. I have a Sebenza and love it, but am always afraid I'll lose it. Have a Dozer with D2 steel and you can't beat it for holding an edge. Puma's hold a great edge.

However, I have several AL MAR'S and love them, not only the edge holding, but the feel and tightness. Been finding I've been carrying an Al Mar most of the time lately.

See, its all personal opinion.

Mike
visit my website at: http://webspace.ship.edu/mbyoh

Posts: 6 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well I'm still carrying my Kershaw Blur and I still am 100% satisfied with it. It is by far the best pocket knife I've ever had. I use it on a regular basis and it still is not dull yet. It's not quite shaving sharp, but almost. That's an entire year of moderate use (including skinning/cleaning an entire deer) without the need for re-sharpening. I am very impressed with the S30V steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant hang onto a pocket knife for losing them. No more money lost for me, been carrying an Opinel for awhile now and if it gets lost, then a replacement is inexpensive.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like picking out the best looking woman. Go first class and get a Puma made in Germany.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that Queen pocket knives, and their Schatt and Morgan series, are the finest American made knives since the 60’s.

The fit and finish are just fantastic on these knives.

Queen is using D2 steel and AST 34 in the Schatt and Morgan. These are excellent steels and mine are properly heat treated.

The edges are so hard that I was unable to reestablish a decent edge till I found diamond sharpening stones. I am totally ashamed that I thought these knives were “soft”, but in fact, with India stones, all I was doing was rounding the edge.

I like the fact these are American made knives. I am happy if my cash feeds and clothes an American worker.

http://www.queencutlery.com/SM_filewire.html

posted Hide Post
There are several new knife companies to consider as well. Look at Great Eastern by Northfield. These look promising. Good steel, nice patterns.

And not a folding pocketknife, but look at Bark River. They make some great looking sheath knives with good steel. I purchased a Bark River Micro Canadian with like a 1 3/4" blade with a kydex neck sheath. The edge holding is unbelievable and it is more quickly accessible than a folding pocketknife. I will be buying more Bark Rivers.

I think the most important factor in choosing a pocketknife is purpose it will be used for and your lifestyle. I would never be caught without a pocketknife. My daily job involves and coat and tie so I choose a pocketknife that is slim and fit comfortably in my pants pocket (usually a small single blade folder or Swiss Army knife). If I'm in my jeans after hours or on weekends, then its a larger folder or multiblade pocketknife, or small neck knife. I personally find no earthly reason to carry a tactical style folder- closest I come to that is my small Sebenza.

Posts: 6 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have long been a big fan of the Kershaw Blur....I am now carrying a Bladetech that I like very much. Both companies offer excellent customer service and free sharpening.

Theodore Roosevelt