THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Ceramic Hunting Knives - Are they worth it?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ceramic Hunting Knives - Are they worth it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ceramic hunting knives - what has been your experience?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ceramics can be very sharp and hold a sharp edge for a long time. But they are brittle and not well suited to heavy chores that can chip the edge. You will most likely need to send it back to the manufacturer to be sharpened.

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep them in the kitchen, if at all.

Mr Carter (above) is spot on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Note for field use at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ceramic knives are way cool. I have two, one Boker and one Stone River, both are locking folders. The boker has a short blade, 1.5 in,the Stone River a longer blade, 3.0 in. The Stone River has some chips in the blade. I have no idea how the blade got chipped, I am very careful with both of them. That's just the way ceramic blades are, fragile, but they are cool.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ceramic blades are great for slicing but terrible for chopping or boning. They are extremely sharp but also brittle. As such the chip fairly easily and in my mind at least are suitable for field use.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was supposed to be NOT suitable for field use.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they might be good for skinning an elk in the field - NO??? Skinning can really dull a knife fast. Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A gimmick....had one once and not at all impressed. With all the top quality carbon and stainless knives available today, why bother.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Boker ceramic - awesome looking knife. I plan to use it for skinning big game. The skinning process can be very frustrating, because cutting thru the fascia connecting the skin to body dulls knives very quickly; and, as the knife dulls, the work increases. I think the ceramic will stay sharp much longer and make this skinning process less strenuous. Is this reasonable. Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee Sounds like you have already made up your mind so the answer is---if it works for you then it works, if it dont it was a bad idea.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I bought one for the same reasons, figured it would make skinning hogs easier. But after my ceramic pocket snapped a blade falling to the floor, I worried that it would be too brittle. And I also wonder about the ease of resharpening.

So it has not seen any use.

I replaced the pocket knife with another one. They are once and light in the pocket.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give you guys a report once I try it as a skinner, which should be a "soft" application for which it is suitable. Regards, AIU

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Knives in my camp get rattled around, dropped on occasion and have to multi-task so ceramics are out. They're also very poor for separating joints. For all the extra care required, it seems easier just to keep a steel within hand's reach.

That said, they sure have a cool factor.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote