Find
Notify
Tools

Randall Knives
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
My neighbor hopped in the rig the other night to go hunting and threw his knife on the floor. Being somewhat of a knife nut I noticed the handle. It's a Randall.
So some conversation revealed that he had inherited it from his father. He praised it highly, and said you can completely clean and butcher an animal without even beginning to loose it's edge.

So what steel are they using? What kind of heat treat?

I just checked and they are now filling orders for 2016. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
read my reply in this thread

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5021043/m/1741097361

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The non-stainless ones are made from 0-1 tool steel. Offhand, I don't recall what stainless they use.

There are substantially better steels around these days, but most people can't tell the difference and, of course, most people can't sharpen a knife to an edge worthy of the better steels.

Randalls are readily available in much less time from a couple of dealers at either catalog cost (lead time about 6 months) or plus a few bucks (lead time about a month or so).

To sum up various threads in here on Randalls, good but by no means state of the art or great knives in todays market with a great collector base and a long term solid reputation. Overpriced, especially if you count the wait.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
So what steel are you more impressed with?

My last couple Stainless knives were both ATS34. One was a USA production knife from Gerber about 18 years ago. Newest one was made by Manley Blades.

I have an A-2 bladed Chris Reeve Knives Shadow IV that I haven't used in the field because I don't like the sheath. And just ordered a Blind Horse Knives in O-1.

I think the S30v would be a good stainless but really like carbon blades better I think. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate,
Take a look at Bark River. They have lots of different types and mainly use A2 or 3V steel.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate, I'm knife poor and proud of it. For the money, Bob Dozier makes a great, well designed hunting knife. HARD, tool steel(not stainless)blades. He has a website and A G Russell carries his(some of his)knives.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Randalls are and have always been great knives, but most end up being safe queens because they are snapped up by collectors. I have two that I bought in 1968. I wanted them as users and do not like the pristine appearance, so with great effort I darkened one blade up with salt and sanded the leather handle to make it rough and slip-free. Every knife fancier who sees it says "You could clean that up really nice."

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I guess when my Blind Horse Knives knife comes in I'll have to give it a go for a while. It would be hard to convice my wife I NEED ANOTHER knife when the last one isn't even finished yet!

I'll have to watch the pawn shops for a good user.

Anjin you sound like my kind of blade man.