New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep horn Sendero-March 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the first of this model. I will make a few of these for two years then drop the model. This particular one has a sheep horn handle. I make less than 6 sheep horn handle knives per year.

This 5 inch blade has a "Dog Star" pattern Damascus. The guard is stainless with some deep relief engraving that I scratched out on it.

The blade has an up sweep to it giving more skinning area of the blade. It works well in the field. Hope you like it.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
beautiful work, Jerry. i checked your website but there doesn't seem to be any finished knives for sale. is all your work done on specific request/commission?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13140 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rarely have anything extra. Most are straight commissions.
This one I made up extra because right now I am getting interested in sweeping type cuts. If no one buys it by next month I will take to the show in Brazil and sell it there.

I make anything with an edge though I must say, folding knives are the most difficult to get from me as I only make 3 a year. Normal delivery is several years out. Though sometimes I get interested in a particular style of get curious how to improve something and get to working on it and that's how I get something extra. Then I normally have about 3 "large" projects a year that stretches my abilities of what I know. The next two years project time is taken up by a single knife. It will have one layer of steel for every man, woman and child in America, so that is over 317 million layers in the one blade. I will be using all types of historical steels such as from the statue of Liberty, bridges, buldings, ships, etc etc

I need to get a thread going on how and what to look for when buying. I have been collecting for nearly 30 years now and I try out and use most of what I have. I developed the cutting contest that are now done world wide so there are things to look for when wanting a good cutter, or what to look for in investment type knives, up and coming makers etc.

Thanks for the kind words on my work. I do take the time to do each knife as I would want to own it whether it is gold inlaid diamond encrusted etc. I know I did a sword several years ago that had 2 1/2 pounds of gold and silver on it then when out and field tested it on bundles of rope the size of a mans waist. But, I ramble.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superlative.

I think the thing that appeals most is that the pattern seems to expand, almost like an exploding star from what appears to be both the center of the curve and the spine of the knife.

Dog Star?

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GW, The Dog Star is the main star from Orion the Hunter Constellation, hence the star effect.
That is one of the three patterns that I have developed over the years. Two of the patterns are used by many makers, one is the Dog Star and the other is the Wolf Tooth pattern. Most patterns that people use are from the middle ages.
Thanks for the kind words.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I'm reminded daily how little I know about so much.

Luv it when I learn something new.

Great stuff.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The knife sold.
Yep, that is the reason I make knives, so many things to learn.
Sheep horn is a really good field use material. I am just picky about getting the right handle which is the reason I do so few sheep each year.
The right handle material is important, not only to how it feels and uses but in its possible resale later.

The "Star" portion is forged into the blade so it goes through it. The "upsetting" or transfer of the pattern from one side of the cutting edge to the other side gives a nasty cut. Technically it is not supposed to, but I can tell you when you cut yourself a bit while working on it this pattern and the ladder pattern [both giving the same transfer effect on the cutting edge] hurts worse than most patterns, it is like a miniature saw the way it feels.

Right now I am working on a Turkish twist pattern hunter for a client. That pattern is the most difficult pattern with the most loss of material that I make, hence the most expensive. But woooo weeee, that sucker is pretty. I may most a photo of just the blade as that is where it is now and I will be the rest of the month putting the handle on and engraving it. I will post it up in a day or two then talk about it as well. When finished if I remember right it goes to a client overseas.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched your you-tube vid on Turkish Twist.

Would very much enjoy seeing photos of the various stages of production if you had the time or interest.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love that blade design--perfection in motion.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote