Find
Notify
Tools

A project with my son
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
My son has been showing some interest in knife making, so we went to the annual state knife show a couple of weeks ago. He got quite excited when we found some knife kits that were on sale there, so we bought one for him to try. It contains pretty much all the materials needed to make a knife using stock removal, you just need to decide on a design and start shaping. My son chose the design after a bit of searching and comparing designs. We made a start to the project this weekend, and got the rough shape done with the steel. We only had some basic tools, so it was slow going. Pretty much just used a hacksaw, with a little shaping from a bench grinder, a linisher and a dremel. After a couple of hours, he was happy to stop for the day, but we made some good progress.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Good for you and your son!
mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice start , keep moving !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see you working together on it. It will be even better when you get in the field and get to use it together. It is a memory that will last a life time.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a promising start on what can be a great hobby. I'm glad to see he's using protective gear and assume that includes eye protection/dust mask when grinding, etc. Someone's coached him well...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's more practical than a "pinewood derby" project (and God knows I've spent much time on those).

Well done gents!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments guys. My son and I both appreciate hearing from you on this.

It will probably be a week or two before we can work on it again, but I will certainly post our next session. We still have some shaping and clean up to go before we get to the grind, but in the mean time I am going to try to make a profiling jig to file the grind in.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
Looks like a promising start on what can be a great hobby. I'm glad to see he's using protective gear and assume that includes eye protection/dust mask when grinding, etc. Someone's coached him well...

Good hunting,

Yes, we didnt use glasses with the sawing work, but did on the grinding. I only have basic quality dust masks in my workshop, but will buy some better quality ones soon.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Good to see you working together on it. It will be even better when you get in the field and get to use it together. It is a memory that will last a life time.

I am really looking forward to processing an animal with a blade we have made ourselves. We already get a lot of satisfaction from hunting animals together and eating what we shoot, so dressing animals with our own blade should really add to that.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
This is awesome! please share the work in progress with us.

I made a thread a while back that has a few pointers for scaling the knife when you get that far.

here is the link if you are intersted.

Good luck,

Todd

Thanks. I remember skimming through that when you initially posted it, but I am looking at these types of posts in a much more focused way now. I am pretty confident about the metal work, but pinning and shaping the scales is the most intimidating part of this project to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:

tu2

+1

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
We spent a few hours on the project again today. Firstly some filing to clean up the lines from the initial shaping we did last time, then file in the bevel using an Aaron Gough style jig. Doesn't look like too much progress for one session, but today is the longest continuous time we have spent on it since we started. Anyhow, getting closer to the most intimidating part - the heat treat.

One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Neat filing jig. A file is an honest tool; you get back pretty much what you put into it.
Heat treat is super easy after all that filing.
Good work!
Mike

well maybe on the heat treat depending on the steel.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Good for you guys ! Looking forward to the project in pictures.

Enjoy the time in the garage. Kids have a habit of going from little people to big people in no time !

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Good for you guys ! Looking forward to the project in pictures.

Enjoy the time in the garage. Kids have a habit of going from little people to big people in no time !

Charlie

Last night I was playing pattie=cake with the youngest, and the oldest just graduated high school. My wife wishes they could stay toddlers forever.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love to see father son projects. Thanks for posting. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Looks like you guys are all over it though.

Sweet stuff,
Honeycutt

Posts: 5 | Location: MS | Registered: 29 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Hi guys. Thanks for all the comments. We really appreciate all the feedback.

Just to let you know this has not been abandoned. We were planning to get back to it a few weeks ago, but my son got too sick to do anything that weekend. We haven't made it back since, but hope to get everything ready for heat treat in the next week or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will be watching!
tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bwana_500

Where are "we" on this project?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote