Find
Notify
Tools

custom handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
I recently came into some hippo teeth and wonder could you guys point me to the best way to have some realy good knife handles made from some of them maybe a razor handle anyone ever done this.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make handles out of almost anything. I saw photos of a carving set knife and fork made from warthog tusks. Didn't seem very practical as the curve was great.A DIY project ? Many finished blades are avaiable .Adding a bolster and end cap to the tooth section is all you need along with some epoxy. For someone else to do check the knife making forums such as www.bladeforums.com or www.knifenetwork.com to find custom makers.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Please post pics or I can for you.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Well, just to give you some ideas ...

Not hippo but this knife 's handle was made by an argentinian bladesmith using a water buffalo tooth with ebony and german nickel thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
boom stick what picture is it you are looking for?

afrikaander that is one heluva nice looking knife I think the center lower tusks will be long enough to make the whole handle from the hippo tooth without the ebony though but I realy like that concept

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Pics of the hippo teeth so we can have an idea of what you are working with.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander. Now that is one beautiful knife. When I get down your way again I want to meet that maker. Does he make any folders?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
its the two strait ones in the middle bottom I want to use one of them whole

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Afrikaander. Now that is one beautiful knife. When I get down your way again I want to meet that maker. Does he make any folders?

Bill, the maker of this knife is the one who made me the White Hunter replica in damascus steel and - believe it or not - he is even better making folders ... in fact folders are what he likes most to do ... in your next trip down here I will introduce you to all the bladesmiths I know, some of them true artists !!

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
boom stick what picture is it you are looking for?

afrikaander that is one heluva nice looking knife I think the center lower tusks will be long enough to make the whole handle from the hippo tooth without the ebony though but I realy like that concept

You surely have more than what is needed to make a whole handle from the hippo tooth thumb ... just that I sometimes prefer some other material aswell accompanying that material wanted in a handle, just to allow the contrast obtained to stand out even more the qualities of that material we liked so much (tooth, antlers, wood, horns, etc)

Μολὼν λάβε