New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Mult-Tool??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My father wants a multi-tool for Christmas. I looked around a little today, and was amazed by all the options just with Leatherman and Gerber. Are there other brands to consider??

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SOG also makes multi-tools. I have never handled one but I have several of their fixed blade knives and have no complaints. I read a good review of the Leatherman Wave a while ago, too. I have an original leatherman from about 20 years ago and like that just fine. Also have a gerber multipier from about 15 years ago and don't have any complaints there either. I would go somewhere you can handle them out of the blister pack to get an idea of the different options. I doubt you will go wrong with any of the major brands. I have never seen an off-brand one that I thought was worth anything. JMHO

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leatherman "Wave".

Highly recommended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm probably as old as your Dad or older and I like the "Supertool"... good size, comfortable AND you can mount the sheath sidewise so it doesn't interfere with Dunlap's Disease... it's a real tool, not a toy. When you break any LITTLE thing on them, you just send them back and they give you the latest version... happened twice to me and once to my son in the last 20 years... they still have good service.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375er:
SOG also makes multi-tools. I have never handled one but I have several of their fixed blade knives and have no complaints.

I have one of the SOG multi-tools. I sought it out after I destroyed two leatherman tools (and my brother broke one of his). I really couldn't figure how in the normal course of "business" I could destroy a leatherman, but it happened. Broke the jaws out of one while putting ties on a barb-wire fence and snapped the screwdriver out of the other one while tightening the screw on a feeder. That was enough for me to decide I needed to head in another direction. I handled the Gerber and the Buck and the Wenger and all the other "make-believe" multi-tools and settled in the SOG.
I have had this tool since April and it was with me everyday of the five months I spent in Zimbabwe and South Africa earlier this year. I have used it I don't even know how many times for every little (and big) thing I can think of since I got home in late August.
I ain't saying it is the best (it is on each of us to figure that out on our own), but for me, I will not buy any other make. If (and it seems like a big if at this point) anything happens to the current SOG I am carrying, I will be lookng for another one just like it.
Just my two cents...
Best of luck to you.
Cheers,
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TBD,

I have heard that the Swiss Army Multi Tool is a very good one. You might want to have a look at it.

Swiss Multi Tool

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a number of them, but have been most satisified with the Leatherman Charge TTi. The Wave is also nice.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
ditto, blades lock, socket set.

quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
TBD,

I have heard that the Swiss Army Multi Tool is a very good one. You might want to have a look at it.

Swiss Multi Tool

Best,
Dave

Posts: 6347 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I like any of a number of the Leathermans. I have personally never had a problem with any of them. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had very good service from the Leathermans. I'll second Use Enough Gun's post.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Leatherman charge titanium.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
I have a Leatherman "Wave".

Highly recommended.

Agreed

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little bit late for X-Mas....... but the Leatherman MUT looks interesting. tu2

I've got a skeletool. I've got the bit kit with it, but I most often use the 1/4" hex adapter for use with all my Brownells' bits.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I have a Leatherman I've been using for 20 years with no issues. Great tool.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2000 I forgot my skinning/gutting kit when I left for an Elk hunt in the Selway. Kill the Elk, and reach in the back pack to get the tools. Home on the freezer in the garage.

Duh!! homer

I had gotten the new Leatherman Jumbo tool at the SHOT Show that January, so I figured it was that or my pocket knife. Skinned it, field dressed it, sawed the pelvic bone enough to break it, and disassembled that fat boy. Took some time, but I got it done and packed out two miles to the P/U just before dark. I heard a few wolf howls just before I got to the truck. That is one spooky sound when your rifle is in the truck...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard a few wolf howls just before I got to the truck. That is one spooky sound when your rifle is in the truck...

No wolf is gonna eat someone who tastes like hot wings & lite beer ...

rotflmo

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
I heard a few wolf howls just before I got to the truck. That is one spooky sound when your rifle is in the truck...

No wolf is gonna eat someone who tastes like hot wings & lite beer ...

rotflmo

Cruel, very cruel. clap

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
swiss tool.. the original version .. stainless, tough, and a darn good set of pliers
http://www.swissarmy.com/Multi...stool&product=53936&

i have one on my hunting belt, one in my backpack, one in my truck, in my wife's truck, her best friends truck, both of their hiking packs, and my mother stole my spare that used to be in my work backpack

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38348 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman micra.
sits in my camera case with a skeleton folder & spare battery.........in my little EDC bag with a 1x AA Led & some meds...........goes everywhere with me.

every item there has its limitations, when the job is bigger I use a real tool.

knowing when to reach for a real tool is the hard part........

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have one of those micras as well, they are nice when it is too politically incorrect to carry a swiss army knife.

I did bugger the scissors on mine, don't remember what I was doing but it probably wasn't factory approved anyway.

My usual multi tool is a gerber, as I like the stout pliers but you can sure pinch the dickens out of your hand with them if you are not careful.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7753 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most valuable features I've found on a multi-tool, is the ability to use 1/4" hex bits. This turns the multi-tool into a tool that can use any size regular, allen, torx, square head bits as well as 1/4" (or even 3/8" with adapter) sockets.

The built-in screwdriver tips on most multi-tools are a bad joke. Ill fitting, soft bladed POSs.

Would you use one of these ill fitting soft multi-tool screwdrivers to work on your firearm/scope mounts etc. in the field? I sure as hell wouldn't 'cause I hate burred screw heads (burred screws are caused by bird brains)!

What I want in a multi-tool is a one-hand opening lockable blade of about 3".

A good pliers, needle nose, wire cutter option of quality steel......

....AND a 1/4" hex drive capability!

When I go out on hunting/shooting expeditions, I carry the bits for the particular firearm I am using.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a buy on a Gerber. Bi-Mart was having a sale, and these Gerber multi-tools were on some sort of clearance special. The computer was deducting the sale discount on top of the clearance price.

Sales guy behind the counter says, "You need to take advantage of this screw-up before they get it straightened out!"

$7 and some small change.

Only better buy is the SOG my buddy handed me because he never used it.

(I don't use them much myself, but they look good in the collection.)

Any time I go out in the field with a firearm, I take along a tool box with gunsmith screwdrivers, and all the other first rate tool steel.

When I use a multi-tool, it's for non-serious, non-precision work.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
The make/break decision for me in choosing these multi tools, after getting all and more of the tools that you will actually need/use, is how the grip feels in your hand. Pass on anything with prominent edges that invade where your hand goes that could produce discomfort when you are cranking hard on some tool

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote