THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    RW Loveless "lamb" repros courtesy of TK Steingass

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RW Loveless "lamb" repros courtesy of TK Steingass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back I was perusing the “Art of the Knife” by Joe Kertzman. I love hunters and skinners.

On page 211 under the heading “ Hunters can be Art Knives” there is a picture of S.R. Johnson’s interpretation of RW Loveless “Lambs”.

The gut hook knife doesn’t do much for me, but the other two. Wow!

It didn’t take long to find out at $8k to $10K that I'd have to live with the Johnson I was born with, and that those two weren’t going to happen.

I had Gene Ingram do a set, which I've shown here previously, but Gene does not do bolsters. Every time I looked at the picture of the Johnson repros, I would get a tickle of lust.

I contacted TK and asked him if he would do a Loveless repro. He said send pix. I did. At first I thought of stag but over a period of time and discussing it with TK we decided on ivory linen Micarta for the scales. The steel is CPM 154. The furniture is 416 Stainless and the pins are Black micarta that was driven into stainless ferrules.

So here is what he came up with. BTW the micarta is sanded to 2400 grit and the blades are polished to a mirror finish. The execution of these knives are as faultless as any I own.

One caveat, I was not able to go to my lease between May and July. During that time, between the cows, hogs and coons, four of my five spin cast feeders spun out and were destroyed. In addition both my ATV's conked out. Consequetly as the places I hunt are typically further off road than I want to trek, so no unzipping of hoglet this last go 'round.

I did recently spend a week at the beach................

ya'

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
GWB,

I like them a lot! Any idea where the name "lamb" came from?

Take Care,
Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Spent a few minutes searching the internet and came up with the answer...Thomas Lamb.

Found it in this PDF of a Loveless Catalog. It is a heck of an interesting read. Coincidentally, Loveless announces that Steve Johnson is working with him in this catalog.

http://lovelessknifecollector....Loveless_Catalog.pdf

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Works of art. Thanks for sharing the pics of your new "unzipping team."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning knives!

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Those are nice GW. TK is doing some good work.
I mean; him being a yankee and all.
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful.

Do you ever use them or just get them out to look at over a "Cold Negra Modelo".

You do have one heck of collection of users/lookers from what I have seen here.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys.

LouisB,

I used to think I was a user. Now I've about decided I'm a user/collector/accumulator.

I did not start out to collect knives, it just kinda happened. As to ever using them, that depends on what your definition of using is.

I do enjoy fondling them.

Some times I pose them

Sometimes I skin with them

I use them in the kitchen

cut a steak

cut out leather for a sheath

trim a cigar

make a taco

spread peanut butter

filet fish

skin a bird

spit a brisket.

You know,

the usual stuff.

So far, bout the only thing I haven't done is sell one.

ya'

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, GW, those are fine photos and fine knives. It a pleasure to see the quality and artistry that the current knife makers are doing. A lot of ideas in those photos. Thanks.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D,

I am continually amazed at the quality and the artistry of so many makers. To a man, every one of the makers to whom I've had the pleasure of dealing with, IMHO, are the finest of individuals and a credit to their craft. My biggest regret in regards to collecting custom knives is that I did not get started till I was near my mid-sixties. So little time, so many knives.

Oh well, such is life.

Best,

GWB

PS: another set from TK that I was able to snag due to a friend sending me a link.........

a hunter/caper set, 154 CPM and exhibition grade desert Ironwood scales,416 stainless furniture.

Abosolutely "titts-up"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the hey,

while I'm at it

A "Clay Alaskan Skinner" by TK Steingass

and the knife that got me interested in Mr. Steingass's work, courtesy of Mike Williams............

JAPPFT,

GWB

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have managed to snag a couple of his as well. He does great work.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That sheepshorn Steinglass looks a lot like the Elmer Keith knife from the 1970's that Hibben designed (in blade only).

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I thought that was a banana skinner

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Ahh, ram horn. Yer killin' me! Now I'm going to have to buy the next knife I see for sale with ram horn scales if I have to sell a kidney. Maybe it's a good thing I don't frequent those knife websites you have access to... Big Grin

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote