Find
Notify
Tools

Puukko for hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted
I built this puukko for a guy who mainly hunts deer and elk. Blade (made by Tero Kotavuopio) is 105 mm long and 26 mm wide, made from low crome carbon steel. Wood is alder root, decoration stripes white bone and ferrule buffalo horn. Sheath is 2 mm thick wegetable tanned cowhide.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like it!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice knife !!

The definition of puuko leaves me confused.Your knife is what I call a typical Norwegian knife !In fact my first knife given to me in 1947 is a Helle and exactly like yours ! In either case this design is a simple ,practical, graceful one as is the sheath.Keep making them . tu2

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Simple and Elegant.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Very nice knife !!

The definition of puuko leaves me confused.Your knife is what I call a typical Norwegian knife !In fact my first knife given to me in 1947 is a Helle and exactly like yours ! In either case this design is a simple ,practical, graceful one as is the sheath.Keep making them . tu2

To me it is a Puuko as well, but I call all Scandanavian knives of this type Puuko, and I think the Finns do as well.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Hello

This is my second attempt to the "hunter" theme. This particular item will go to one member of this forum:

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I'll be pleased to ad it to the collection. beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
This is my latest one, goes to one australian gentleman:

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another nice one.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I happen to like the Puukko too, which I believe originated in Finland, although it has in time become a generic Scandinavian type of knife.

I own 3 :

Finnish Marttiini's (Bird and Bear models)

Norvegian Helle knife made for Norma.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to be over 50% Finn but born in the united states. I have more than one Finnish knife and my favorite is a Roselli hunter. Maybe I can figure a way to post a picture of it later. Anyway...It has a 4" skinner style carbon blade that is still in the rough with only the edge defining any work. It is mounted into a perfectly scultped piece of maple with brass hilt. What I like most about it was that it has a scuplted choil unlike many other puuku style knives. I hand picked it out in Finland over 20 some years ago. Roselli still produces similar knives today but none quite the same and because they are all hand made, none are exactly the same either.

igorrock - I really like the added custom work of your knives and would like to see more of your offerings.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Hello captain Finlander. Roselli´s puukkos have quite good quality but weird design. I prefer those whose have high carbon i.e. carbide steel blades. Roselli´s puukkos head has always been made of Birch, not Maple.

If you want to see more works from me go and click my sign under this text. It´s link to my business blog.