New
Find
Notify
Tools

blade stain
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Someone here may be able to help???? I have read in the past that one could take a new knife and cut some produce (apples, oranges, something) and get a "pre-stain" stain before cutting meat. Don't even know if I am remembering this correctly (age is coming on quickly). Can anyone help? Would like to have a nice patina before work begins! Thank you in advance, Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arthur, yes that works good on carbon steel blades. Stainless no. Put you some oil such as mineral oil on it after the apples [it's the citric acid doing the patina]. That helps retard the rust. It's the same as seasoning in a good cast iron skillet.
Good luck this hunting season.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in my teens (long ago) our favorite pocket knives were the Case Trappers. First thing when we got a new one was to plunge each blade into a grapefruit. Turned them a dark carbon black color and we'd then follow with a light oil treatment. From then on they usually only got oiled when we sharpened them but it was enough to keep them from rusting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the knife in a glass of lemon juice.....result in a blue/gray stain.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote