New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmade steps into it.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One would think that companies would learn not to get involved.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....nd-amendment-rights/

I was tipped off yesterday morning about something of note to gun owners. I was told that Oregon-based Benchmade Knives was destroying firearms for the Oregon City, Oregon Police Department. A post appeared on the OCPD Facebook page (since taken down) with a few images and a statement of thanks to Benchmade: The images

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've never been a Benchmade knife fan in the first place, and own none of their knives. Typical backtracking when caught red-handed. The statistics on the political donations speaks volumes. Sadly of course, Oregon is a full-on liberal out of touch state anyway. thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Their political contributions are alarming.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Their political contributions are alarming.

5 years of supporting entirely Democrat politicians, of the worst gun grabbers in the Democrat party.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Uh, before you cut up your Benchmade:

SEE OFFICIAL STATEMENT BELOW
Benchmade is aware of the recent post from our local Oregon City Police Department.
-
We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.
-
Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.
-
When asked for clarity from Oregon City Police Department, Chief Jim Band made the following statement: “When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”
-Benchmade

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Benchmade is aware of the recent post from our local Oregon City Police Department.
-
We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.
-
Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.
-
When asked for clarity from Oregon City Police Department, Chief Jim Band made the following statement: “When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”
-Benchmade

I'm not as upset as some about them helping the cops cut up confiscated weapons as much as I am for their support of the Democrat politicians who are actively anti-gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
With you there, Frank.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

-
-
-
-Benchmade

I'm not as upset as some about them helping the cops cut up confiscated weapons as much as I am for their support of the Democrat politicians who are actively anti-gun.

That data is not for company but for individuals who work for the company in their private capacity as us citizens.

Could be 1-2 people at benchmade giving money. You can’t fire someone for giving money to a politician.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It is well worth noting that that the two Dem recipients of most of the 2018 contributions went to Dem. Rep. Kurt Schrader -- who in 2010 had an A rating from the NRA and in 2018, a rating of 72. He got a $5000 contribution from the NRA itself last cycle.
Martin Heinrich, my senator here in NM, had an A rating in 2010, since left the NRA and has voted for universal background checks, bumpstock bans, etc.. On the other hand, he also has consistently supported protecting and supporting public lands protections that directly benefit hunting and fishing. I didn't vote for him, but could have done worse.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The City of Milwaukee used to take confiscated weapons that were not needed for evidence to a local foundry where they were bought by the pound and melted for use as scrap steel.(Except for the real nice ones that went home with someone up in the Dept.)So what?They make new guns every day.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

That data is not for company but for individuals who work for the company in their private capacity as us citizens.

Could be 1-2 people at benchmade giving money. You can’t fire someone for giving money to a politician.

Mike

This data shows that the contributions were made by the owners, in the company's name.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

This data shows that the contributions were made by the owners, in the company's name.

No it’s not.

When you make campaign contribution you have to list your employer. That is how they are aggregating contributions made my employees of benchmade in their capacity as individuals.

Benchmade has a $120k a year lobbying budget.

“All contributions to candidates from Benchmade Knife Co came from individuals”

https://www.opensecrets.org/or...000047693&cycle=2018

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be paying those individuals well to make those sort of contributions.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

No it’s not.

When you make campaign contribution you have to list your employer. That is how they are aggregating contributions made my employees of benchmade in their capacity as individuals.

Mike

Mike,

Obviously you like this company/people but the contributions came from Roberta De Asis. She's the CAO and founder's wife. These are not employees making individual contributions, they are the owners of the company.

Mr. Les de Asis
Founder, Owner and Chief Executive Officer
Ms. Roberta De Asis
Chief Administrative Officer:

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:

That gets you in jail in the us.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No it’s not.

Mike

Mike,

Obviously you like this company/people but the contributions came from Roberta De Asis. She's the CAO and founder's wife. These are not employees making individual contributions, they are the owners of the company.

Mr. Les de Asis
Founder, Owner and Chief Executive Officer
Ms. Roberta De Asis
Chief Administrative Officer:

I like the product but have switched to spyderco.

I was just pointing out that donations were in a personal capacity not via the company. Corporation cannot make donations they have to do it via pac.

Owners of benchmade probably get majority of their income via it as do salary employees. How they donate it is their personal decision. Sure customer may dislike it - gun owners did not like cooper rifles ceo donating.

End of day it’s a choice the executive has to make - do they restrict their personal political view or activity to not offend some of their customers. One can go all gun rights but remember the shoe can be on the other foot and ones hunting activity can have impact on ones business too - just ask Mike Jines.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I agree Mike, they decided that their support for democrat politicians and policies were more important so that's where they sent their money. Just like I decided that not spending any more money with their company was more important to me.

It's a shame, my every day carry knife was a little 3" folding Benchmade that I really liked but I'm not going to carry it or the other Benchmade knife that I own. I have a little 3" Kershaw that I'll be carrying from now on.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree Mike, they decided that their support for democrat politicians and policies were more important so that's where they sent their money. Just like I decided that not spending any more money with their company was more important to me.

It's a shame, my every day carry knife was a little 3" folding Benchmade that I really liked but I'm not going to carry it or the other Benchmade knife that I own. I have a little 3" Kershaw that I'll be carrying from now on.

Yup

Consumer product companies should have very low political profiles. Same for anyone serving consumers. 63 mil voted democratic and 60 mil. vote republican. You can’t run a consumer company and p@ss of anyone unless your base is firmly in one camp.

I have written checks for over $275k to Michael Bloomberg for his terminal. It makes me sick but it is the cost of doing business.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have written checks for over $275k to Michael Bloomberg for his terminal. It makes me sick but it is the cost of doing business.

Mike

Please tell us more about your check writing to the shit eater as a cost of doing business.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Mike

Please tell us more about your check writing to the shit eater as a cost of doing business.

Need a Bloomberg terminal for work. Tough to get otc bonds markets outside of it. Plus it is a really good platform but very expensive.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, why not send me your Benchmade? I will pay the shipping. Benchmade makes very fine knives, I have two of them, one an automatic. I absolutely will not throw out, or give away my Benchmades, Rugers or Smith and Wessons They have already made their profit when I bought these items. They are quality items and I have enjoyed owning them. Sorry, but I will not jump in a bath tub and slit my wrists just because the owners do something that I don't like. Neither will I shoot myself in the foot! The word "juvenile" comes to mind (ie. I will take my marbles and go play somewhere else)! You can do whatever you want with your own money, that is what capitalism is all about!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:

That gets you in jail in the us.

Mike

I meant salary or wages, nothing untoward!

But then I see it is the owners of the company making the contributions?

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Less guns, more demand for knives, who can argue with that ? Ask the Brits. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hey Frank, why not send me your Benchmade? I will pay the shipping. Benchmade makes very fine knives, I have two of them, one an automatic. I absolutely will not throw out, or give away my Benchmades, Rugers or Smith and Wessons They have already made their profit when I bought these items. They are quality items and I have enjoyed owning them. Sorry, but I will not jump in a bath tub and slit my wrists just because the owners do something that I don't like. Neither will I shoot myself in the foot! The word "juvenile" comes to mind (ie. I will take my marbles and go play somewhere else)! You can do whatever you want with your own money, that is what capitalism is all about!
Peter.

I'm not going to throw them away or destroy them, I'm just not going to spend any more money with them. I don't care how good their products are, I'm not going to give them money for them to stab me in the back. It's the same reason that I don't own any Levis, go to U2 concerts, eat Ben & Jerry's ice cream, subscribe to Time Warner cable TV, etc. I vote with my wallet.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I watched the gun collective expose on youtube about it.

Basically the company has destroyed firearms for the police department in the past, and were asked to do it again.

They also donate to local politicians to help tote their tax platform to keep jobs in Oregon.

Beyond that they agreed that the pro-knife laws, and pro gun laws are not always on the same side of the fence.

I don't own a benchmade, and most certainly will not after this fiasco.

There are far too many pro gun knife companies out there to do business with.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
OCPD sounds like the designation of a rare but deadly disease.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.freerepublic.com/fo...f-news/3772813/posts

Shareholder value is no longer the main focus of some of America’s top business leaders. The Business Roundtable, a group of chief executive officers from major U.S. corporations, issued a statement Monday with a new definition of the “purpose of a corporation.” The re-imagined idea of a corporation drops the age-old notion that corporations function first and foremost to serve their shareholders and maximize profits. Rather, investing in employees, delivering value to customers, dealing ethically with suppliers and supporting outside communities are now at the forefront of American business goals, according to the statement

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
http://www.freerepublic.com/fo...f-news/3772813/posts

Shareholder value is no longer the main focus of some of America’s top business leaders. The Business Roundtable, a group of chief executive officers from major U.S. corporations, issued a statement Monday with a new definition of the “purpose of a corporation.” The re-imagined idea of a corporation drops the age-old notion that corporations function first and foremost to serve their shareholders and maximize profits. Rather, investing in employees, delivering value to customers, dealing ethically with suppliers and supporting outside communities are now at the forefront of American business goals, according to the statement

Just marketing fluff to be long term greedy.

Only time management is not greedy is when they are busy stealing from shareholders. This is an always problem.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

I'm not going to throw them away or destroy them, I'm just not going to spend any more money with them. I don't care how good their products are, I'm not going to give them money for them to stab me in the back. It's the same reason that I don't own any Levis, go to U2 concerts, eat Ben & Jerry's ice cream, subscribe to Time Warner cable TV, etc. I vote with my wallet.

+1.

I done buying benchmade knives. I have a couple of their Shane Sibert knives. I'll keep using them, but not buying anymore.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1282 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The founder past away recently and it is being run by his son I think. Maybe that is why.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote