THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    How Many Knives? What Do You Accumulate?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Knives? What Do You Accumulate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted
I did a fast and dirty count this morning on the "collection." Folders, fixed blades, and a Civil War Heavy Calvary Sabre (reproduction). I'm running about 70 - 80 knives, including the machete, cane knife, utility stuff in the garage and barn. The kitchen knife block.

Mostly I don't much use any of them. What I have are collectable, discontinued, vintage, first production run, prototypes that never got into production.

My every-day user knife is a Smith & Wesson "Border Guard" -- made in China, and on sale at Big 5 for $15. Cheap utility, I don't worry about scuffing it up.

Right now I'm looking for a fixed blade, rolled stag handle, or full-tang stag. 5" - 6" drop point blade.

Randall makes a nice one, Model R25-F

I've wanted a Randall since my buddy bought one in high school, 1964, for about $150.

What's in your stash? What sort of stuff do you tend to bring home. Let's not get into a pissing contest over who has the biggest collection!

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
Evidently, no one in here collects. Here's a photo of my Windlass, "1840 Heavy Calvary Sabre."

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I'm not really a collector, but have collected quite a few, some custom, some not. I don't have a sword yet, but might be tempted to buy one of these Scottish swords one day.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works. Nice, reasonably priced ( for what you get ) users. I've also had a Randall 14 and 2 ( 8" ) for about 20 years; they're a bit scarred.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
For me, one of the best knives on the market, for the quality and price, is an Arno Bernard knife. Picked up 5 more at SCI this past weekend. tu2

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mine are all pretty much one-of-a-kind collectors knives( about 35-40), although a number of them are made by guys like Chris Reeves who make a number of serial numbered knives from the same pattern- Randy Lee, Jim Ence, Nolen Knives,Dave Kauffman, Loyd McConnell, Ron Gaston, RA Kessler, Steve Huey, etc, etc. i collected such knives for a lot of years- now i am slowly selling them off if anyone is interested...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go through buying cycles with mostly custom knives. Right now, I am basically not buying knives since I am spending heavily on another area of my collecting addiction. I've got way more than I care to count and, like Jdollar above, should be selling them.

I also hate fooling with pics on a computer so that's out for now.

I have a pretty good pile of the Mineral Mt. Hatchet Works knives pictured above. Great knives and basically indestructible. Ted Frizzell (sp?) is the maker/owner and, like most of us, ain't getting any younger. I don't have one of the kris designs tho. Drat..... Wink

Ron Gaston (now deceased) and, for that matter, most of the SC makers make/make some sleek desigs. I've got several of his and other SC makers.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
damn, i didn't know Ron was dead. i met him 25 years ago at a custom knife show in Newport Beach, Ca- bought 3 of his knives as they were so well made( 2 boot knives and a tanto design). sorry to hear of his passing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I also have a weakness for Mcusta pocket knives; especially the all metal ones.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
damn, i didn't know Ron was dead. i met him 25 years ago at a custom knife show in Newport Beach, Ca- bought 3 of his knives as they were so well made( 2 boot knives and a tanto design). sorry to hear of his passing.

He died in Oct of 2006 but had not been able to make knives for a couple of years preceding his death. He made some very pretty knives.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
XERO,

Last count was about 85 which does NOT count the butcher block in the Kitchen. Most are production knives that "I" thought was cool at the time. Some of those are limited productions, a couple never made production, some aren't so cool anymore. Probably ten-twelve are true customs, hand made, and I met with and talked to the maker/smitty.

My favorite is a framed wall hanging of Schrade-Walden fixed blade knives I bought from a closing hardware store. It is fully complete with probably eight knives (a couple of folders), one sheath for the largest and one sharpening stone. I believe the Walden name came off in 1972, which makes them older than that date.

The most neatest/coolest/probably expensive is a custom knive I purchased in South Africa. I was permitted to visit his shop and he let my wife and I do the first stage sharpening on a couple of blades. Anyway the folder won "Best of Show" or some such title in Europe-Amsterdam Spring of 2005. However at the show it had Ivory handle which was not exportable to the U.S. so it now wears Mammoth Tooth handles. Thus not the absolute "true winner".

My regret of not purchasing was a Loveless Drop Point prior to his death. They have at least quadrupled in price since then. Instead I am trying to purchase "authorized" loveless productions with his name on the blade. I have the Beretta, Schrade (which is a questionable drop point), Gerber, but have had trouble finding the fixed blade drop point Loveless by Lone Wolf.

Probably 20 are in display cases or frames of some sort and the balance are in wooden tool cases which are inexpensive copies (made in China) of the Gerstner's tool cases made in Dayton Ohio. I go in spurts of not purchasing anything for a couple of years and then buy several in 6 months. Retirement later this year will probably bring future purchases to a standstill.

I have never photographed them. This thread is making me think I should follow up on this.

Best regards,

Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

He died in Oct of 2006 but had not been able to make knives for a couple of years preceding his death. He made some very pretty knives.

for sure the 3 i bought from him are beautiful/functional knives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found another 10" MMHW fighter at a price I couldn't pass up. I'll post a picture when it arrives. I hardly need it, but I couldn't walk away ...

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
I'm a self proclaimed Benchmade whore. I currently own around 150+ knives, give or take, and half of those are benchmades, including prototype and pre-production runs and quite a few limited edition knives. I own a few Cold Steels, some Bokers, Kershaws and Spydercos, a couple A.G. Russell exclusives and a couple Chris Reeves' knives. I've made a few that I use, like for hunting and camping. Got a $5 Wal Mart special machete that stays in my Jeep, that has taken down some serious brush and trees.
Needless to say, they either sit around, being pretty and being polished, or they get put through their rounds. Unfortunately I have the notion that once one of my knives get dull, it's time to buy another one and retire the dull one.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had thirty until about a month ago. I've started handing them out to relatives. I think I still have about twenty, mainly Buck, Gerber, Schrade and Old Timer. I never bought many knives, just accumulated them as they were given to me.

My favorite is a Helle from Norway. A strange looking knife with a unique leather sheath. The Drilling Manager for Statoil in Venezuela gave it to me in appreciation for work done for them in Lake Maracaibo.

My best story is an old Imperial, fixed blade, hunting knife I've had for about 45 years. It has a chunk out of the blade. The older brother of an old girlfriend told me he could probably shoot a .22 at his hunting knife blade stuck in the ground, split the bullet on the knife edge, and break two beer bottles, one set on either side of the knife, and a little behind it. After about ten attempts he gave up.

I think he wanted to prove it couldn't be done, so he handed the rifle to me. My first shot broke both bottles and damaged the knife. He gave me the knife.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
This is a test :-)

not in order:

Harris, Vallotton, Pease, Cover, Preston, Barnes, Drennen, Barnard, Gedraitis, Sawby, Begg, Wood, Jernigan, Atkinson, Crawford, Conley, Nihiser, Ouyo (onion), Sterling, Weinmueller, Helton, Elisewitz, Knipshiel, Ohta, Pittman, Tomes, Reitveld, Brend, Whiskers, Ware, Leblanc, Reeves, Bell, Richards

missing

Imel, Panak, Lloyd, William Henry

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

This picture doesn't do justice to the size of this knife.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 25 year old son fancies himself a blacksmith. Has a forge in his shop behind the house that uses a woman's blow dryer. He made me a nice knife with a beautifully shaped and sharpened blade and then had the gall to christen it on a deer he just shot. I wouldn't trade that knife for one like it of solid gold! Made one for his brother also. They are both instruments of beauty, bondedness and love.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
My stags:

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote