New
Find
Notify
Tools

best knife for $150
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My boss has asked me to help him pick out a hunting knife to give to his 10 top salesman when he takes them hunting next month. He will spend up to $150 for each knife.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V or stainless. Fallkniven H-1 or F-1.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Suggest that his secretary get the company an account with Blue Ridge Knives. They have thousands at wholesale. Nice online site. I have an account with them and they are a good company.

You need a tax stamp etc to buy from them.

Blue Ridge Knives

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would vote for the Fallkniven F-1. I've used both it and the Cold Steel Master Hunter and feel that the Fallkniven is pretty much a better knife in every way. The F-1 is a little more expensive than the Cold Steel but you should be easily able to find them under your Budget.
The Benchmade D-2 Survival Knife is a good knife for the money but IMHO a little too large for a hunting knife.
The best knife I've seen lately for not much money is a Helle "Eggen". Good steel, Comfortable handle and under $60. All of the Helle's are good deals for what you get....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some prices from Blue Ridge

F-1

Cold Steel Master Hunter SS

Helle Eggen

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I like the suggestions.

Savage99, you are right, the Blue Ridge prices are very good

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I am sure that DJ knows whats best for common sense use but you may want a flashier knife. Just post what you may want and I will post the price and pic from BRK.

I prefer folders myself.

Don't forget mulitools.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Bark River Knives. I played with one last week and was very impressed with simplicity, style and edge retention on two pigs. Most styles go for under $75, which would allow you to couple it with the multitool suggested by Savage 99.

A true hero's deeds are never known

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get a Knives of Alaska "Yukon" with desert ironwood handle.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris01:
I'd get a Knives of Alaska "Yukon" with desert ironwood handle.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/

Yukon Belt Knife #1 - Desert Ironwood 139.97
Knives of Alaska

BRK's price 71.98

one of us
posted Hide Post

BRK price 102.57

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
catboat,

Thanks for the links. Several very nice choices.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go to gun/knife shows locally and find custom knife makers. The knives run $300 more or less, Damascus blades.

But I'd never actually use one of these. Too nice for "working."

And so, I'd look at real, live, working knives. Buck, CRKT, Case, Kershaw -- working knives, and they run $60.

I like a fixed blade with nice "space age" materials or a fine wood on the grips. No mechanical design issues. Get one with a great leather sheath.

Folders get into "mechanical" areas and fads. A fixed is going to be a great design 300 yrs from now!

Picture of yorick
posted Hide Post
I really like my Buck Vanguard - looks nice with the brass accents too.

Posts: 41 | Location: St Paul, MN | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please look at 'Knives of Alaska' models. I have several of their models and can highly recommend them. Great steel and reasonable prices.

For folders, I only use Benchmade and again am very happy with the knives I have.

Have your boss add a 'Accu Sharp' sharpener to the package and the big worry of resharpening in the field will be forgotten.

Good luck with your selection. Many good recommendations have been made.

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have emailed all of the suggestions and will find out which knife he picked in mid-November. I will post again to let you guys know.

Thanks to all of you for the help,

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, what knife did your boss wind up getting his sales studs?

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I bought an Alaskan Guide Series Buck Knife from Cabelas with the S30V steel and it looks a LOT like the Vanguard.

I got a recommendation from someone here for it and I can tell you that I've never owned a belt knife that I liked near as much or that held an edge like this knife!

I think it was around $90 and I wouldn't sell if for twice that if I couldn't replace it.

I'm pretty sure Cabelas still sells them but haven't checked lately.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He gave us the Knives of Alaska Yukon (the #1 version with a blade edge on both sides)
with a bone handle.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/images/catalog/specificLarge/Yukon.jpg

I blooded mine on a fat doe Sunday morning.

Thanks for all the replies.

Doug

posted Hide Post
Id check out A.G. Russells website as they carry hundreds of knives priced anywhere from $20 to $1000. They handle alot of Cold Steel, Sog, Bark River, Paragon, and Doziers which are the best Ive found yet but they run $190 to $400.

Jay

Bowhunting is life the rest is just small stuff.

Posts: 11 | Location: West MI | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is over with, but for $150 with more lead time, you can buy a David Winston custom. Substantially better than most if not all of the factory knives mentioned here, and you could option the handle material or blade length so each would be different.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dave Winston knifes as being a steal but they are a bit more then $150 on average today, the last couple of his I bought have been in the $185 range. Gene Ingram is another that builds a great knife at a very reasonable price. I have knifes by both and they are 1st rate for the money.

The top knife is a Gene Ingram Model 2, the rest are Dave Winston. All are great blades.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol Joe:

You're right, it looks like he's gone up about 10% since the last time I looked. However he has quite a few of his smaller knives for $165 and the medium ones for $175 which includes shipping. I imagine that if you ordered a group you could save a few bucks on that alone.

None the less, David Winston is a maker who competes very well with Dozier for quite a bit less money and more custom type knives IMO.

Here is his site for those who might be interested.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canal Street Cutlery some can be bought for around $100.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have several Toledo-made Muela knives I bought off ebay for under $100. They are very nice for the money.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don:

Charles May makes nice knives as well. I read or heard somewhere that David Winston taught or guided or mentored (take your pick) both Ingram and May in their earlier stages of knife making. Whether this is true or not, I can't say, I've never asked. They are all located close together and I know that Winston and Ingram are friends.

Personally, I don't find his knives quite as "sleek" looking as the other two, but that is a matter of personal preference and others could easily have the opposite opinion and we'd both be right for ourselves.

For myself, if I was going to order one of his knives, I'd much rather pay more for the S30V steel, but D2 will work just as well for most hunters. The difference only shows up when you have to do multiple animals in my experience. Either one is superior to almost all commonly available commercial blades.

xxxxxxxxxx