THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Re: Diamond vs Arkansas which is better and why?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Diamond vs Arkansas which is better and why?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments. I was just contemplating the purchase of the exact Japanese water stone combination DJP mentioned. I will have to think about it somemore (you know old dog new tricks).

I guess I can see myself doing one of the following:

1.) 750 grit diamond for roughing, and an Arkansas black or translucent bench stone for finishing.

2.) The 750 diamond again for roughing and then a set of Japanese water stones (1000 & 6000 grits).

I need new stones, I am too damned embarrassed to explain why.

Thanks again.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I sharpen on DMT two side folder, first Fine, then ExtraFine (if knife is not totaly dull, coarse is not necessary) and finish it with old butcher steel to shaving sharp. In the past, I used carborundum, but diamonds are much faster, sharpening today high-tech steels on carburundum or natural stones is nearly impossible, edge is more homogenous and final result with diamont/steel combination is best ever seen. For total satisfaction on premium knives after treatment on steel I use leather belt, edge is mirror polished, it is shaving for long time and leads to best result . ..

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The best place to get japanese waterstones in at a japanese grocery store! Sometime when you are in a large city with a significant oriental population go into some mom&pop store, last time I checked coarse stones were $6.00 and the fine "gold" one was about $23. Most were around 12.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Image just for fun, what can you find in students apartment

You can see DMT sharpener, leather belt specialy made for finishing woodworking knives, old butcher steel, old worn carborundum sharpener, kitchen knife made by local knifemaker from some special french steel, it shave hair after hour of cuting meat, vegetables etc . . .

Sorry for bad image quality
Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote