Find
Notify
Tools

favorite knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
that would be my coyote made by javelina knives
out of arizona it has 3" blade,full tang,micarta handles,ats-34 its a great little knife and now i have three of them.

Posts: 27 | Location: western washington | Registered: 30 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Benchmade DeJaVoo

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I realize its old school but ..the Buck 110 folding hunter is what I use most.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Case XX folding pocket knife with stag handles that I found as a kid over 46 years ago and it is still going strong (although the blade is much thinner from sharpening over the years). Just one of my favorite knives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Puma Skinner. 1972. (fixed)

Beretta (folding)

Both have beautiful stag horn handles, that may be the attraction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Reeve Sabenza (Classic II)

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
for serious work it would be my Bob Dozier Agent. I have had that thing in piles of guts and hides over the past 12 years. For show it would be my custom damascus, ivory, Mike Miller. Mike built a knife just like I wanted simply from my verbal description of what I thought was a perfect show knife.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Reeve Sabenza (original). I wear it on my side every day. It is the bomb!

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing exotic, just a Buck Pathfinder.

#2 would be a Canadian Grohmann.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Changes daily since I am currently collecting heavily, but my EDC (which is not my favorite by any means, personally I don't want to be using my favorite knife to cut nylon hay string off axles, cut copper wire, etc) is well used Spyderco Native in S30V. It has skint (skunt, lol) a pile of deer and hogs since it is always at hand.

Currently my favorite folding for show knife is a J. A. Harkins, engraved Omega I bought extremely cheap off of ebay. Really a cool knife. May or may not carry (due to legal concerns) a double action Drew (nice work, reasonably priced) with ATS 34 and pearl handle with abalone trap door button that I just got in.

Fixed blade hunters would be really hard to pick since I've got so many, but I suppose I'd lean towards my Winston hunter and camper set I had him make for me in S30V. Others that come to mind without looking hard are Koster Bushcrafter (S3V), Klein TK2 (D2), and I'm looking forward to a couple of "user" "The Bob" (his name for this style which is basically just a common hunting knife blade shape about 4 1/2 long IIRC) coming in any day from Rick Dunkerley in 52100.

Favorite fighter would probably be a Kiku Matsuda (this one in S30V) that I recently bought, just because it feels so good and looks so cool. It's amazing to me that so many of the custom fighters which are really designed to be used have a handle that is slicker than owl shit even when it is not covered in blood, rain, sweat, or beer. Matsudas are not slick BTW.

Show fixed blades would be another tough choice........I've got a really cool Bradshaw Jaeger Sword and a Fisk Bowie and a Kious Bowie that stand out, all great work and all somewhat different. Should have a Bradshaw Bowie in any day that I'm really looking forward to.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this is going to work or not, but I hope this will be a pic of an extremely cool art knife I bought recently. I'm still in fiscal shock, but I suppose I'll get over it, there ain't no Brinks trucks in a funeral procession......

Stephen Olszewski Birds of Prey Knife

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'm not sure if this is going to work or not, but I hope this will be a pic of an extremely cool art knife I bought recently. I'm still in fiscal shock, but I suppose I'll get over it, there ain't no Brinks trucks in a funeral procession......

Stephen Olszewski Birds of Prey Knife

Looks good.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How quickly we forget.......I just picked this I had made up from Dan Graves a few days ago and it is a beauty......9 1/2 inch blade, San Mai of 1084 and Damascus. Great feel in hand.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
For Custom, I like Cover folders and for Factory I like Boker or Krane.

Factory knives

Custom Folders

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, really a nice knife collection. I think Rietvelt makes some really neat looking knives these days. That one looks kind of like one of his earlier efforts, very nice. And Cover makes a good knife. There's a folder engraved by Cover Jr (who's engraving is really fine as well) on Arizona Custom knives right now that I've been thinking about. So many knives, so little money. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I feel a little embarrassed in such refined company but my favurite is the Fallkniven

Mine was given to me by a dear friend and 3" with the excellent laminated steel it has dealt with quite a few deer.

The only issue, if I might call it that, is the convex edge is tricky to sharpen.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a variety of Puma, Rnadall, etc. But now it is my Martin Knives MR 5 and my custom Martin trout and bird / caper.

The ones I selected are built old school tough and shape while excellent as a tool and as a good looking useable piece. I am a big fan of these Martins and they dont give up anything to anybodys knife in quality ofr a hunting or tactical or using knife. I have no association with the company BTW. I also like how they do business. They just do what they say.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably my favorite set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All around: EnZO Trapper O2 steel, Micarta scales.
Hunting: Fallkniven H1 and WM1 together.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry a knife. When I fly I put my knife in my check in luggage so I have a knife at my destination. For several years I did carry a small 3 blade--about 2 1/2" overall and did find they handled most jobs. I then moved back to 3 1/2" 3 blade stockmans. I bought a Case Damascus and just a week ago I broke the blade. I was making a circular cut in hard plastic and it snapped like an icicle. Is that common for damascus--is brittle a characteristic? I think other knives would have handled the process. Anyways it's currently in Bradford Pa for repairs. My hunting knife is a Chicago Cutlery folding knife. It has a case with two pockets--one for the knife and the other a small sharpening stick. I have used it on many a deer. Ther is a guy here in San Angelo that makes top notch knives. I have not had one, but have seen them. His name is Jim Ferguson. www.jimfergusonknives.com

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Mr. Fergunson, but with all due respect for his knifemaking skills, looking at his prices, this knife made by a ABS mastersmith in forged 52100 steel is a much better deal IMO. I don't want to quote a price on Mr. Dunkerley's knives but I just took delivery on 2 of his hunters, "The Bob" for $350 each. This was $50 less than his list price because I got them without the hand engraved pins which I think are kind of superfluous on a using knive. YMMV. Unfortunately I can't provide pics (computers and cameras and I don't speak a common language) but per my request, since they are a father/son set, one had a cocobolo handle and the other is in desert ironwood. This is a solid using knife, larger than I normally use for just skinning, but is fit to "ride the river with" as they say in Texas. In addition, for an ABS mastersmith delivery time was amazingly short, less than 2 months. Here is the knife on his web site. Mr. Dunkerly makes mostly very high end folders which often cost in excess of $2000.

Dunkerley "The Bob"

You'll have to hit his "available knives" link on this page.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
That Dan Graves Bowie is very nice. Dan's skill is stunning. I have held that knife and feels great in the hand. I have one almost identical to the one above.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got reply from Case that repairs would take 6-8 weeks. I think they changed their warranty policy to one where the examine the knife and determine if warranty or they charge. They said nothing of charges so guess they are doing it as warranty.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's like asking about your "favorite child." shocker

The one I carry and use all the time is a Husky lock-blade, folding box knife w/ cheap replacement blades. It's the one knife I don't fret about losing, and don't think twice about grinding and gnashing on the edge if the job requires. About $9 at Home Depot, w/ a supply of replacement blades!

I've snapped off the tip and used it as a screwdriver. Do that with your Damascus!