Find
Notify
Tools

Gene Ingram Knifes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
I'm looking to have a custom pair of skinner/caping knifes made & heard Gene Ingram is the man I need to talk to, I hear he is on a 3 year wait but wanted to get some thoughts on his work, anyone have any experience with his knifes?

http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 7 Gene Ingram knives and one on order - what would you like to know? You get a lot of knife for your money. They come shaving sharp and it is pretty easy to keep them that way (I just use a little pocket crock set to keep mine shaving sharp). Also, Gene is a nice guy.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene makes a good knife. If you're in a rush, you might consider David Winston who started Gene in knifemaking, or Charles May, they all build similar but somewhat stylishly different knives and are all located pretty close to each other.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I talked to Gene this morning & yea I'm on a 3+ year wait which is fine to get what i want. I'll also check out the other two names you recommended.

Thank you for the help.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gene makes great knives, I have a couple. If you don't like wait, look at Burt Foster, more money, but a great knife.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that Gene made about four years ago. I have no problem skinning five deer with it inbetween sharpenings. It is a beautiful piece of machinery.

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Gene makes a good knife. If you're in a rush, you might consider David Winston who started Gene in knifemaking, or Charles May, they all build similar but somewhat stylishly different knives and are all located pretty close to each other.

Gene makes a great knife! I have been useing one of his #2 models for a while and it has been fantastic in edge retension and utility,I once field dressed 11 whitetail during a cull with this knife and still had a edge that would peel hair off my forearm.

Dave Winston also makes a very nice knife. I actualy have more of his then Genes, but for some reason they seem to be safe queens and don`t get out in the field. I picked D2 as a steel when ordering mine but both makers offer S30v and other steels if one wants.
Daves wait is shorter the Genes and both are good about discussing what you want and explaining what they have to offer to meet your needs.

Ingram #2 with jigged bone

Winston #25, 22, and 21 with elk and spalted maple

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what others have said about Gene, great guy, quality stuff. He shys away from building knives with bolsters, but has done a couple. I have a LOT of Genes knives, and he has built a bunch more that I commisioned for an annual hunt we have, he's built over 60 knives for me. There is nothing but good stuff to say, but a true custom form him is probably not gonna happen, he likes to go with the patterns he already has established, and put a handle material you can agree with him on.

I've had a bunch from David Winston too, very similar, I've been chasing an Automatic from Dave for years now--just exquisite work.

There are a lot of really nice semi-customs out there nowadays, if you don't want the long wait, look at the Lone Wolf dozier knives, the CRKT "Mtn. Range" series, the Browning Escalades, and even the Falkniven and Helle stuff, all really nice blades.

Good luck in your blade hunt!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of Genes knives (a #6 and a semi custom #7) in D2 and they are GREAT knives.

I guess I was lucky to order them a couple years back when the wait was only 6 months Big Grin

You won't go wrong with an Ingram.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received a knife that was a collaboration between David and Jason Winston (it was stamped with Jason's name) and I could not be more pleased. The knife was finished beautifully and was shaving sharp. The delivery time from when the order was placed was very short and the Winston's could not have been more accommodating. As a final perk, the price was reasonable. I recommend them highly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene Ingram makes a fine knife and I certainly can't blame him for charging what the market will bear since all he has to sell is his time and skill BUT for basically half the money or less a David (who started Gene Ingram in knife making) or Jason Winston knife is a better value IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first Ingram's, the Dropped Combo and are the finest knives I have handled. To my eye, the lines are pleasing and they are razor sharp. Also, they handle well in my hand. Seems like a great combination for a hunting knife.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote