New
Find
Notify
Tools

Randall experts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any Randall experts here I have a NO. 14 that brought years ago from the estate of a Vietnam vet.

The knife is a straight forward 14 the sheath has me puzzled.

It is very well made black leather sown and riveted with a bend in it and Alice clips to attach to a web belt, stone holder reinforced retainer strap. leg lanyard.

I'll gladly send some one a picture if they would post it for me.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a pic, but from what you describe, it might be a modified Randall sheath. They did make them in black and some of the early Model 14 sheaths were riveted for extra strength. Those are quite desirable to collectors.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert but I will comment.

Older Model 14 knives came with a sheath that had a single row of stitching and seven rivets. The rivets were placed two per side, two at the top of the sheath, and one at the tip. Modern sheaths have double rows of stitching.

Regarding color, you cannot be sure that it was black to start with. I had a Model 14 years ago. It came with a brown leather sheath but I covered it in black shoe dye followed by a liberal coating of black Kiwi shoe polish. Then I heated it in an oven until all the Kiwi soaked in, reapplied Kiwi, and polished it like a pair of boots. When I was finished it looked exactly like the factory black sheath. I wasn't the only one to make that sort of modification.

Many guys "customized" their sheaths in other ways. I used 550 cord and the factory produced holes in the sheath to tie the knife in place on the pistol belt to prevent it from sliding about. But others came up with different methods of attachment, including the addition of GI metal belt keepers. Some people added extra rivets and I even saw a couple with an extra little pouch for "survival" items sewn below the stone pouch.

FWIW, "Alice" clips existed decades before the Alice rucksack came along but many people have come to call them Alice clips anyway.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picture sent to congomike let hope he posts them

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote