New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Protection for Food Knives?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have lots of different rust prevention chemicals for firearm, but for hunting knives and butcher knives I've pretty much stuck with oil.

Around the house without digging too hard I can find Breakfree CLP (which I understand I should not use around food), Eezox, Sentry Solutions cloth, and Slip 2000, and I'm sure there are others if I were to get up and look.

What do you use for knives that come in contact with meat, such as field dressing, skinning, and butchering, as well as kitchen food preparation?

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soap and water, dry thoroughly.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, no rust protection at all?

One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Wash and dry. Light wipe down with olive oil. Wife's damascus knives look good after several years of use.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lost okie:
Wash and dry. Light wipe down with olive oil. Wife's damascus knives look good after several years of use.

Thanks, that sounds good. Do you do the same thing with your hunting knives, too?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be a harder question than I originally thought.

For posterity, since I haven't tried any of these, here are a few links:
https://www.lpslabs.com/food-products
https://www.globalspec.com/ds/...easpec/feat_food_fda
https://www.globalspec.com/ind...corrosion_inhibitors
https://www.rocol.com/products...corrosion-protection

Please post if you have any other ideas or discover these above aren't a good idea on sporting cutlery.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2 on Ballistol

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I am going to try Frog Lube on my hunting knifes after reading this test.

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...e-product-evaluation

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
I am going to try Frog Lube on my hunting knifes after reading this test.

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...e-product-evaluation
Thanks for that - interesting. I may try some Frog Lube, myself. I've been using mineral oil for lack of anything else, and I have a lot of it because I use it monthly on our end-grain maple cutting board, but it's kind of limited. Odd that we don't see a high-tech promotion for the knives we use the most.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Bluntly, with the quality of steel available in kitchen/hunting knives available today, you are asking the wrong question. The right question is why am I using knives that I need to worry about corrosion when for very little cost I can buy vastly better knives that I have absolutely no reason to worry about corrosion with.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
Bluntly, with the quality of steel available in kitchen/hunting knives available today, you are asking the wrong question. The right question is why am I using knives that I need to worry about corrosion when for very little cost I can buy vastly better knives that I have absolutely no reason to worry about corrosion with.

Even stainless steel rusts.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Frog lube = coconut oil :-)

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 11 June 2019 07:59 Hide Post
quote:

This has to be one of the dumber comments I have seen on any forum. Yes Stainless steel can rust. Even very high quality stainless can rust. But... for the clueless involved here, you have to work at most of it pretty damn hard to get it to rust. In a lifetime of using knives both stainless and non-stainless, I have yet to see the first one rust at all under much harder use that 99.99% of people put them through and all I do with any of them is to wash, dry in a dish drainer and store in a rack. Not a single one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
posted 11 June 2019 07:59 Hide Post
quote:

This has to be one of the dumber comments I have seen on any forum. Yes Stainless steel can rust. Even very high quality stainless can rust. But... for the clueless involved here, you have to work at most of it pretty damn hard to get it to rust. In a lifetime of using knives both stainless and non-stainless, I have yet to see the first one rust at all under much harder use that 99.99% of people put them through and all I do with any of them is to wash, dry in a dish drainer and store in a rack. Not a single one!

You're purposely offensive. Let's see how the "Ignore" function works, shall we? It works fine, and for the first time in 16 years!

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I guess that now I know why it was one of the dumbest comments I have seen on any forum.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
If you compare "comparable/same class" of stainless steel to non stainless, the non stainless always perform better (better/finer edge and edge retention, easier to sharpen, tougher).

BTW my best kitchen knife is ZDP-189 clad with Damascus. And what I learned with ZDP-189 Spyderco: It rusts like a hell if not proper cared about. And it is high end stainless steel.

And dishwasher is only for junk knives for women. Will not ever put any of my knives into.

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
If you compare "comparable/same class" of stainless steel to non stainless, the non stainless always perform better (better/finer edge and edge retention, easier to sharpen, tougher).

BTW my best kitchen knife is ZDP-189 clad with Damascus. And what I learned with ZDP-189 Spyderco: It rusts like a hell if not proper cared about. And it is high end stainless steel.

And dishwasher is only for junk knives for women. Will not ever put any of my knives into.

Yeah. If there are any cracks at all for the pressurized water to get into the dishwasher water will get in, corroding-while-hidden. Even if it doesn't have cracks the dishwasher detergent acts as a high-speed abrasive on the sharp edges, dulling them quickly. Dishwashers are for butter knives and cheap Wal-Mart throwaways.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Jaywalker:

My friend is professional butcher, had his own business for twenty years or more. They were forced to use sterilizer for butcher knives. What I learned is that in sterilizer there were always cheap knives all the time in the case of inspection from "bureau for food industry". Good quality butcher knives (F. Dick etc.) never placed in. He told me they tried, but the degradation of knives was fast, you have to resharpen knife more frequently etc.

Jiri

posted Hide Post
I use food grade mineral oil on my Henckels Pro S knives.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote