Find
Notify
Tools

The knives of Guy Stainthorp
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
We have a few good knifemakers on this side of the pond, who not as famous as the US heavy weight names do produce an excellent knife at a very attractive price point.

My personal favourite is a man whom I have the honour of calling a friend, Guy Stainthorp.

He has been making knives for a decade now, since leaving the Armed Forces and as a countryman and hunter knows how to make a knife that is as purposeful as it is good looking.

A few from my own collection:

These are a pair of titanium framed, CPM154CM and Damasteel bladed folding knives.

The one at the front is the working stiff and is a frame locker whereas the one at the back is a specialty of Guy's called a "pinch-lock" where the blade is held open by the two titanium leave on either side but not locked to comply without out knife carry laws.

The following is my own personal hunting knife, made to my specifications in S90V with desert Ironwood laminated over grey micarta.

The intention was to have the ironwood chequered but the more i played with the more i thought it would be better to leave the damn thing alone and not bugger up the purity of the design! Big Grin

This puppy has gutted 11 deer in culling situations without needing a touch up on the stone, that included head and feet.

Finally the "workhorse" fixed blade for when you need something that can be rode hard and put away wet:

ZDP189, Guy's signature grip texturing on the scale and a kydex sheath. At this hardness the blade does many deer before it needs sharpening.

This blade's genesis was Guy's experiences hunting deer, although the shape looks a little strange at first it perfect for gutting with the design allowing blade up or blade down holding and choking well up the blade to maintain precision control

I would welcome your comments chaps. Smiler

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amir,

Gonna have a hard time waiting to try one!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Amir,

Gonna have a hard time waiting to try one!

ya!

GWB

Cheers Geedub, I will do my best but the man has developed a bit of a waiting list in recent years... Wink

For you my friend, I will try and sort something out.

He generally lists the knives he makes for stock on his website:

http://www.stainthorpknives.co.uk/

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amir,

I'm patient.

Waited 10 years on one rifle and 15 on another.

Don't know if I have that many left, but you do know that it is a scientifically proven fact that folks that have the most birtdays live the longest.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Those are great knives. You treasure them, and well you should. But remember, some day after you are gone a freckle faced kid will be cleaning fish and tightening screws with them. faint

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Amir,

I'm patient.

Waited 10 years on one rifle and 15 on another.

Don't know if I have that many left, but you do know that it is a scientifically proven fact that folks that have the most birtdays live the longest.

ya!

GWB

I salute your indefatigability sir! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Those are great knives. You treasure them, and well you should. But remember, some day after you are gone a freckle faced kid will be cleaning fish and tightening screws with them. faint

Big Grin

Thank you for your kind words but no kids yet and no plans for any either! Big Grin