Find
Notify
Tools

Accusharp sharpener, wow!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
A friend showed me how sharp one of these cheap little tools can get even a crappy knife and I'm impressed.

It's just a plastic handle with tungston v blades that you run over your knife. You lay your knife blade up on the table with the blade tip an inch over the side. Several runs down the blade with light pressure and wow!

This works better than my lanski or even taking it to a professional. Best thing is it only cost me $16 canadian. [Big Grin]

ACCUSHARP

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
If i'm in a hurry,,,,The butcher steel,,,,if I have 5 min. and a half decent edge to start,,,fine arkansas and break free,for really rounded edges,thanks to wifey,the steel and a good sized india stone that shapes things up rather nicely prior to the arkansas,,A fine shave every time,,,Guess what i'm saying is that I was taught old school,geared for it and get a lot of satisfaction out of hand honing a blade on stones that will shave hair.Thanks for the info though,,Clay..

[ 10-23-2003, 08:00: Message edited by: claybuster ]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Claybuster:

The problem I always have is keeping the knife at the right angle while stoning. Any tricks to doing that you could share with us?

Thanks,

Jordan

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
When you're starting out, try putting your thumb on the spine of the knife so that it is at the angle you want when your thumb just brushes the stone, then you don't have to watch the side of the knife to figure out the angle, just look at the distance between your thumb and the stone. After a while you'll develop a feel for it.

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem getting a knife sharp but honestly speaking, this thing gets it real sharp and the bevel is perfect.

I think once you use this gadget on your knife, keeping it razor sharp with a steel is a breeze.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
With whet stones you want just enough angle to shave the oil off of the stone,When you get it right allmost all the oil you put on the stone is on top of the blade on the first pass.Before you oil the stone,,,lay the blade flat on the stone and raise the spine 'till the leading edge meets the stone,Thats your starting angle.Take your time and practice,,Good luck,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"boilerroom" My luck with the knife scrapers is that they tear the edge don't cut as good and it takes me a lot of time to get them right again. Look at the edge under a magnifying glass and you will see what I mean. If you are happy with the edge and it serves your purpose that is all that really matters.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote