Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new Folder--Suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I want a folder with 3 blades, gutthook, saw, and skinning. I've looked at the Wenger, Beretta, and Browning and want to keep the cost under $100.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Look at my thread on the Buck Infusion I have for sale....well under $100.00; saw, gut hook and skinner....two blades, brand new....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Beretta and the Browning, the Browning seems a little better on fit and finish, but damn their steel is hard to get an edge back on. The beretta sharpens really easily. I always end up waiting and sharpening the Browning at home where I've got a lot more sharpening options.

In the field I just carry a little steel and a small crockstick, works OK on the Browning, but not good!

Good Luck

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Browning

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well here is one a bit under your budget- $11

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-53906.html

unfortunately really cheap knives tend to scare me off, however I suppose for the price you don't have much to lose, it can always sit in a drawer and an extra knife is good to have as a loaner.

A buck alpha at $60, though not my cup of tea for design:

Cabelas has the "outfitter" for $50:

Hey, if $11 is too rich for your blood here's one for $9....

http://budk.com/product.asp?pn=19%20RR437&c=6055&bhcd2=1196319424

Ontario Knife makes one for $55:

Case makes a exchangeable blade pocket knife for $80, but I think that is not what you want since if you have 3 or 4 blades jangling around might as well use separate tools

Personally, I'd check out the browning knives too. I have a couple of them and other than a fillet knife that had the blade snap when I sat on it (it was in the sheath!) I like their stuff. It seems there are a couple different browning kodiak patterns (or I may have just looked at the same one differently).

I don't use a bone saw (don't need to for deer) and use a separate gut hook, but I can understand wanting all 3 in one tool.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The Buck Infusion I have for sale is very similar in design to the Buck Alpha pictured above, except that it has solid advantage camo scales, and features their Infusion steel blades. $45.00 takes it.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Beretta from their London shop about a year ago. The finish is brilliant (extremely fine tollerances, stag horn handles) I love it.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Don't buy mine, but buy American.....there are dozens of excellent American knife makers. patriot

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Remington Big Game folder for years and like it. Two blades, but everything you need.