New
Find
Notify
Tools

zdp 189 steel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone used this relatively new entry steel. I recently purchased a Kershaw Blur in this steel and am quite pleased so far. It can be sharpened with some effort and holds an edge quite well. Seems to be tough and not too brittle. I've read it can be hardened to Rockwell 67 and remain tough. any experience? I have a couple other blades in various steels and manufactures but this one seems to hold an edge longer and can be sharpened.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Syderco Stretch needs diamonds to sharpen but when you get there it stays sharp. Only used on cardboard so far so can't say anything about brittleness (which is a worry so I am careful) but am very impressed with the edge retention. My first Spyderco and it will not be my last, very nice knife for the money, really like the locking back. To my surprise I retired the Sebenza.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply easyup. My Kershaw Blur hold an edge quite well and sharpens ok on my diamond sharpener. I too am concerned about brittleness with a high rockwell but to date seems to be holding up well to EDC.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great steel. It sharpens relatively easily on a couple different sets of waterstones I use. I think I'm going to try convexing the edge on one of my ZDP blades to see how well that works.
I RC tested a Kershaw ZDP Leek and it was RC64, so I imagine you'll find it anywhere in the 64-67 range.
I wish that someone would make a hunting knife size blade out of ZDP. Somethink like a fallkniven F-1 with ZDP would be truly awesome.

The only bad think I've seen was that a freind broke the tip off of a ZDP Leek and Kershaw was unable to replace the blade with another ZDP blade, they said they didn't have any available...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote