THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Who can replicate my most useful blade shape?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can replicate my most useful blade shape?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I acquired a Cold Steel TwistMaster Clip Point many years ago. By a substantial margin, this blade shape is the most useful I've used. For those unfamiliar with TwistMasters, this product line is a significantly superior design copy of Opinel's folding knife.

Does anyone have interest and capability of replicating my TwistMaster's blade, with cutting edge (double entendre intended) of corrosion resistant steel -- to replace the existing blade with the newly created one?

Does anyone have interest and capability of emulating my TwistMaster's blade, with cutting edge corrosion resistant steel -- to render it as a 4.75-to-5.5-inch fixed blade general purpose knife?

Here is the Twistmaster Clip Point to which I refer. The blade shape can do everything.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This question might be better asked on a forum like www.bladeforums.com Maybe one of the custom makers would be interested.Was the blade damaged or is it carbon steel ? Would you want a similar knife ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing amiss with my Twistmaster. My goals are to have this knife or replica of it with a more abrasion resistant, more corrosion resistant blade than the one I own has. I also want a fixed-bladed knife of similar or identical steel with 4.5-to-5.5-inch blade appropriately scaled, blade thickness being a nominal .187 inch rather than the folding knife's .125 inch.
If you look closely at the blade's shape, you observe a continuously curved edge coupled with a point satisfactory for caping and other delicate work. The shape yields effective cutting length and ease out of proportion to its actual length.

Marble's Woodcraft pattern is similar but less efficient. Russell offered a Woodcraft pattern closer to Twistmaster's shape several years ago. Unfortunately, it is shorter than I want, with a hollow grind bevel.

Russell's on left; Marble's on right.

Loveless created a pattern he named "Simi Skinner." This is a similar concept but with a much less useful point, and again, too small with hollow grind.

I'm partial to convex grind.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
The Pinnacle 1 made by Diamondblade Knives has the belly and the tip like you mention.
Try the link and check it out.

http://diamondbladeknives.com/...ductGroup=Pinnacle+I

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aktoklat:
The Pinnacle 1 made by Diamondblade Knives has the belly and the tip like you mention.
Try the link and check it out.

http://diamondbladeknives.com/...ductGroup=Pinnacle+I
I just checked the knife you suggested. Unfortunately, not close to what I have in mind. I appreciate your effort, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have added - a very fine steel capable of a fine edge and very wear resistant is CPM 154.It's getting to be more of a favorite of makers and users !

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Have one. Always in my back pack. A true gem. knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As another non custom option how about the Grohmann #4 Survival:

They also offer knives in kit form.

Of course a custom made knife would offer you exactly what you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can make one for you if you are not in too much of a hurry. I have a backlog of about 8 weeks right now.

For the most corrosion resistance I recommend a good stainless. 440C high carbon stainless is my favorite all purpose blade steel. If you want a little harder stainless with better edge retention (but harder to sharpen and not quite as tough) then 154-CM or ATS-34 are very good choices. CPM-154 is also very good but at about 3x the price of 440C.

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Carter:
I can make one for you if you are not in too much of a hurry. I have a backlog of about 8 weeks right now.

For the most corrosion resistance I recommend a good stainless. 440C high carbon stainless is my favorite all purpose blade steel. If you want a little harder stainless with better edge retention (but harder to sharpen and not quite as tough) then 154-CM or ATS-34 are very good choices. CPM-154 is also very good but at about 3x the price of 440C.
Mr. Carter:

Let me get my act together and create money. I will be in contact with you to furnish information and get some from you.