New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hibben Custom Knives
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a Hibben Custom Hunting Knife?

What is your opinion of the quality of the steel and ability to hold an edge?

I think the Alaskan Small Guide Hunter is a very good design. Since they are hand made in China I was wanting to know if they were using good steel.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want the sparkiest looking Klingon Batleth for the next Trek Convention, Hibben is probably just the man.
If you want a serious hunting knife I would look somewhere else like Bob Dozier, Gene Ingram and others.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No,No, not the Dragons and Dungeon stuff.

This is a hunting knife with classic conservative design.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Made in China" and good knife steel properly tempered are rarely found together. I think there are far better options out there...............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here we go, Alaskan Small Pro http://www.knivesplus.com/gil-hibben-knives.html Guide

Craftsman

one of us
posted Hide Post
420j is basically the low end of knife steels. It's stainless and hard to break but doesn't have very good edge retention. They are inexensive however so I guess you get what you pay for. I still think you could find a better knife for near the same price..............DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Djpaintles

Thanks, that's the answer I was searching for, someone who knew something about the quality of the metal.

These are only $35.00 wholesale. Too bad they did not use a good steel as the design and workmanship is good.

Craftsman

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it isn't a fixed blade, but for just a few bucks more you can get a Spyderco Native in S30V which is a helluva lot better steel, the knife is handy to carry, etc. I skin and quarter lots of deer and hogs with mine.

Design is nice, but good steel, well tempered is the first part of having a good knife, within reason.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman, Here is a Knife steel chart that you might find interesting:

http://www.agrussell.com/knife_information/steel_guide/index.html

Of specific interest you might notice the typical Hardness of 420HC and 420J2................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Craftsman