Find
Notify
Tools

Which Grit Diamond?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
I need a new Diamond Hone and was wondering which you all use for fine sharpening. The one that I have wore out is 750 grit and Bass Pro has one with two sides that is around 300 on one side and 600 on the other for $24. The one I have wore out is a Smith's; they are around $27. They are both approximately 2.5" X 6" in size.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 1200 grit.It's all you need and light pressure will do it otherwise you'll wear away lots of steel !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know you so don't take these observations as personal, they are not. That said, it's been my experience by much observation and inspection of "sharpened" blades that damn few people know how to really use stones or hones to sharpen knives. That said, for many people, I would recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker with at least 2 sets of "stones", medium, which comes with it and fine. It's nearly idiot proof and will put a decent edge on just about any knife very quickly (less than a minute) if the edge is at the right angle for the stones to reach it. However, if the knife has an abrupt original angle to the edge, it may take a while to get it down to where the Sharpmaker will actually sharpen the edge. It that's the case, again, if someone can't hold an angle by hand, you can use a regular carborundum/india stone with a guide to get the edge angle lower faster. After all of that, as mentioned above, the diamond hone in very fine grit will put a final edge on the stone with light strokes, followed by stropping if one likes.

The Lansky style sharpeners also work very well but are kind of a pain to use.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dmt duo fold, blue red.