Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Ironwood!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted
Below are some knives that I am in the process of wrapping up. Each is handled with Desert Ironwood. I find the color and figure variation interesting. This is one of the reasons I like to work with wood; each piece is unique and you're never absolutely sure what you have until it has been finish sanded and buffed.

The top knife is a variation of my semi-skinner. It was commissioned by a gentleman who traps as a hobby. He wanted a knife with a shorter 3" blade for skinning coyotes, fox, and raccoon, so I shortened the blade of my existing pattern and changed the handle geometry a bit. I like how it turned out.

Thanks for looking,
Lee

baumgartknives@gmail.com
http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/

PS: If you go to my blog, you can see some wonderful photos a forum member sent me from a couple of recent sheep hunts he was on.

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Lee; I like the top one too!

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,
those all look mighty fine.
However the wood on the second one down is exquisite. What's the chances of seeing a couple more pix of those scales a little closer up?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm with GWB, even though they all look pretty good, that second one down is fantastic. Just so happens I need a good skinning knife... Smiler I do like that one.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet Lee knows just the guy that can fix you up.

Good Stuff.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,
Those are all little beauties!
The wood is eye-catching and the blades are excellent!

Thanks for posting photos of my 2015 Wyoming bighorn pics and my son's 2015 Utah desert sheep pics on your blog. It's been quite a year!

I have been asked to assist on another desert sheep hunt for a "slam" ram for a 75 year old gentleman. Your stag semi-skinner will be put to good use.... I hope. We'll see how the hunt goes and I'll report back in a week/10 days or so.

Best,
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
mm Ironwood fan

Excellent work. Here's a folder from Todd Davison

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

GWB,

Per your request.

This set of scales is some of the darkest Ironwood I have worked with. I buy almost all my Ironwood from Arizona Desert Ironwood Distributors. I usually order their matched High Contrast scales and believe they go to the bin holding the scales and pick out whatever is on top, so I end up with a variety of different hues and grain patterns. Their customer service is great and all their wood is as hard as a rock. I can only bevel the leading edge of two sets of scales with the disk sander before I have to toss the abrasive disk.

Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is sweeeeeet.

Thanks for taking the time to post, and the info.
Much appreciated.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
very clean, what's not to like!
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
mm Ironwood fan

Excellent work. Here's a folder from Todd Davison

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exquisite wood on the second from the top.
appreciate the effort in the closeup, really defines the beauty of the timber in that pair of scales.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even more beautiful up close! tu2

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Lee did a great job on one I bought from him a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to comment, but forgot. Great guy to deal with.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some beautiful DI, that's for sure.

This was the nicest that I used.

Steve

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, Steve! tu2

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Those bottom two are mine. I received them yesterday and they are absolutely perfect!!!

Just phenomenal work. And Lee is a pleasure to deal with....I highly recommend him.

Thanks again, Lee.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The ironwood that is the second from the top just arrived at its new home in Texas yesterday. Very nice knife. The pictures do not do it justice. Great figure in the wood, red inserts and I particularly like the blade configuration. I look forward to putting it to good use next weekend when deer season opens in Texas.

Mike

Posts: 21081 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Putting the ironwood to work this week doing what a good knife should be doing . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks. A little better picture of the deer. Interesting palmated horns.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That's a wonderful deer. Thanks for sharing.

Lee

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Mike, beautiful knife and deer.

I do have a stupid question to ask: what happened to its eye?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Doesn't everyone shoot their deer in the eyeball?

No, I helped a friend track a doe he shot . . . for close to three hours . . . while we were doing that one of the friendly local buzzards helped himself to the eyeball. We found the doe by the way.

Mike