The Accurate Reloading Forums
What do you think of this knife?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/7831010521

22 January 2010, 07:48
Nomo4me
What do you think of this knife?
I'll not mention the makers name here so that folks might feel free to offer opinions positive or negative.
I bought it from the maker who folds his own steel. It feels pretty good in the hand. My only major criticism is that he extends the notching in the blade back one notch too far - there is a deep void on the back of the bolster where the blade steel should be flush there. He does them all like that so it's no mistake.

22 January 2010, 08:46
Trouthunter
He makes a very nice knife. I've never owned one but I've held one and looked at it; very sharp.

Never cared for the notching on the blades some makers choose to do; personal thing but to me it detracts from the lines and beauty of the blade.

Congratulations on getting a very nice knife.
22 January 2010, 23:22
yumastepside
sorry to go off subject so early, but it always amazes me that you get such a beautifully made and finished knife,and it invariably has such a poorly finished sheath ! If I was paying that sort of money for the knife, I'd want an equally well finished cover for it.

Roger
22 January 2010, 23:25
Von Gruff
First I have to say that the maker is very skilled but I would not have the notches on a working knife and they should definately stop before the bolsters. My opinion only. Beautiful workmanship though and a little more could have gone into the sheath in as far as the raw leather edges could have been smoothed and sealed. Quality seems les than on the knife.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

23 January 2010, 05:03
Nomo4me
It's my first handmade knife and I don't follow the trade, but I thought it almost a bargain at $150 considering the hand forged blade and Asian water buffalo scales. It's not perfect, but a nice enough thing to fondle and should do the trick when I finally get around to a hog hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
I'll not mention the makers name here so that folks might feel free to offer opinions positive or negative.
I bought it from the maker who folds his own steel. It feels pretty good in the hand. My only major criticism is that he extends the notching in the blade back one notch too far - there is a deep void on the back of the bolster where the blade steel should be flush there. He does them all like that so it's no mistake.

23 January 2010, 06:31
calgarychef1
I like the grind line on the blade, kind of a "futuristic" look. Interesing that the blade is tapered within the handle. A lot of the really old European cooking knives I've collected have tapered blades like that.

nice knife methinks
23 January 2010, 10:10
Nomo4me
It balances right on the boltser. I assume the maker tapers the tang to achieve that balance.

The maker is Chris Peterson of Salina Utah.

He doesn't seem to have much of a web presence.

quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I like the grind line on the blade, kind of a "futuristic" look. Interesing that the blade is tapered within the handle. A lot of the really old European cooking knives I've collected have tapered blades like that.

nice knife methinks

25 January 2010, 22:00
Fish30114
It is at LEAST, a very nice knife. How the steel will perform will reamain to be seen, as it is with even the most reputed makers of Damscus steels...I agree with Von Gruffs comment on the sheath, but I think I might be different from Yumastepside, I like a sheath of that type, clean and simple, but better finished as Von Gruff pointed out.

I can't determine without holding it if the area in front of the bolster is designed for a finger hold, or is simply an exagerrated sharpening choil, if it is for a finger hold, I wonder if it places your finger to close to the cutting edge, if it is not....well I don't care for sharpening choils, but if I were, I suppose I would like a larger one like that...my experience when working on (and especially when gutting or inside) it is easy to snag a choil on whatever--just me, plenty of fine knives with them on there....

I like it a lot, and would buy one myself in a second for that price, and I would admonish the maker to reduce his effort and cost, and leave the file work notches off of mine!
26 January 2010, 06:22
billinthewild
I cannot think of a realistic use for it. thumbdown

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt
29 January 2010, 09:37
vdp
very nice. I like the file work. for that price any sheath is ok by me.
29 January 2010, 19:10
Gatogordo
Very nice knife, design is not necessarily to my exact tastes, but that's why there are hundreds of makers, some people like vanilla and some like chocolate.

I have no real criticisms except for the notches you mentioned. I see little use for them to start with and running then behind the bolster is just poor craftsmanship in my opinion. It serves no purpose, assuming you think the others do, and is distracting.

All that said, it is a darn good piece of work for the price. You did well.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
30 January 2010, 07:23
TCLouis
I like the blade shape, it is aesthetically pleasing, and the handle just looks like it would fit in ones hand so well!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

30 January 2010, 09:44
Grizzly Adams
Looks like a wall hanger, but not good for much else. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.