Wyoming Wolves, Smoke A Pack A Day

Wolves, Government Sponsored Terrorists

If its hungry, send it a Berger
02 May 2009, 05:11
22WRF
define best
02 May 2009, 05:53
Gatogordo
Exactly.....there are dozens of top quality makers out there, some of who make museum quality using pieces, and some of whom make museum quality pieces that no one in their right mind would use, since you'd immediately cost yourself thousands of dollars.

For "BEST" you have to define a purpose, a style, and a price point.....and even then you'd likely have at least 1/2 a dozen makers that could qualify, depending on who is judging.

For my USE, a best quality custom knife is one that is made of an excellent steel, such as S30V, or similar, that is small enough to use but has a general purpose blade shape that can pare an apple while effectively skinning an elk, deer, or hog.......again, there are dozens of makers who make these kind of knives but I tend to want one that will not make me cry or lose the kids college fund if I lose it or it gets stolen.....again, TO ME, this means a knife that currently costs about $250 or less. I hate to mention names, but Ingram, May, and Winston are a few of many who make this type of knife. Dozier, etc, etc.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
02 May 2009, 07:41
HTR30CAL
you're right hunting/utilatarian knives

there is room for all of God's creatures, right on my wall

Wyoming Wolves, Smoke A Pack A Day

Wolves, Government Sponsored Terrorists

If its hungry, send it a Berger
02 May 2009, 23:42
Don Slater
Geno Denning does pretty good work.

http://www.cavemanengineering.com/main.html
04 May 2009, 02:22
Paladin45
Dozier
04 May 2009, 09:04
billinthewild
Kershaw. They stand behind their product; prices are reasonable, and they do the job.
Losing one does not break the bank.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt
10 May 2009, 11:38
Mvu
+1 for Kershaw. thumb
10 May 2009, 22:20
Whackemandstackem
I have several Randall's and love them.
12 May 2009, 06:48
Mvu
quote:
Originally posted by Whackemandstackem:
I have several Randall's and love them.

I am sure that Randall's are excellent knives, but isn't there just a bit too much hype surrounding them?

Is any knife really worth waiting 5 years for? Confused
13 May 2009, 18:46
Michael A. Glass
Lads,

You have all posed good points (pun intended).

Sometime in the last century I sold cameras and got the same question several times a day. My answer (as other's have noted) is "best for what???".

I live near Gladstone MI - home to Marble arms as well as current makers such as Bark River, Rapid River and Northwoods (who owns the Scagel name and mark - and makes fabulous reproductions of same... a labor of love for them). Regrettably, I can no longer recommend Marble knives - those made after about 2004.

If you can find a 1960's vintage Marble Ideal, Woodcraft or Fieldcraft in good shape on E-Bay, you will have a most useful knife. DON'T overlook this possibility. Haven't checked recently, but I think they are a bargain relative to the newer models.

Call Dave Shirley (906-789-1420 est) and ask him about his "Button Hole" knife. Best (MHO) all around deer knife made. I've used one on several. He also has knives from other local (Gladstone) makers as well as his own excellent Northwoods brand - all are handmade w/American materials. Tell him Mike Glass said to call.

Now, for the best-for-money whitebread/vanilla OTC, I recommend CRKT knives. Best mass produced knives for the money. I've used them on wilderness canoe trips where dependability is an utmost requirement, and their loss is less shocking than the loss of a Randall (I carry several CRKT's on those trips).

Final words: Dozier, Randall, etc. all deservedly share first place in one category or another. They didn't achieve notoriety by being dull and spreading butter!!! Finding the "first place winner" knife for you can be an interesting challenge. Seriously, call Dave and have a discussion... btw, he is also a serious shooter!!!

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum
22 May 2009, 17:27
Don Slater
For a do-it-yourselfer, it's hard to beat an ENZO trapper, flat ground in D-2 steel.

Buy the completed knife or build your own.

You might want to check out Breeden knives too.
Utilitarian, sharp and inexpensive.
http://breedenknives.com/?page_id=41
26 May 2009, 22:12
OkieNewton
I have one of mstarling's knives from here on the forum. It is the best I have, does that count. Wink

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.
27 May 2009, 20:04
Don Slater
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
I have one of mstarling's knives from here on the forum. It is the best I have, does that count. Wink

Not really. It's one of the ugliest knives I've ever seen! stir
27 May 2009, 20:27
OkieNewton
Pretty don't get the critters skinned. They fit my hand and hold an edge.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.
27 May 2009, 21:38
Don Slater
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
Pretty don't get the critters skinned. They fit my hand and hold an edge.
Okie

I agree, Okie. Just funnin ya! jumping
04 June 2009, 12:47
458Win
I use Kershaw and Victorinox more than anythng but my best knife is a damascus semi-skinner built by Kuzan Oda.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
22 June 2009, 06:57
Bill Cooley
I hapen to be verrey happey with the work of Jerry McClure. I have one of his folders and a hunting knife.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~
25 June 2009, 07:47
gixxer
This guy makes knives that keep me speechless...
and yes it is an actual functioning BP pistol also.

http://i284.photobucket.com/al.../100_3088_edited.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/al.../100_3082_edited.jpg
08 July 2009, 20:44
Romey
www.highcountryknives.com

Romey
09 July 2009, 04:43
D99
I am a fan of Roger Bergh www.rogerbergh.com
09 July 2009, 06:09
gixxer
I need to look in my stash, but didnt they do an article on him in Blade mag? that photo of him at the power hammer looks familiar.
10 July 2009, 02:31
M70Nut
Gene Ingram makes a helluva knife, i've got a # 2 semi coming in soon and can't wait to get it bloody.

"We band of 45-70'ers"
13 July 2009, 17:57
mete
http://www.bladeforums.com/for...wthread.php?t=659402
There are many fine custom makers out there .This one was made for me .Very practcal and attractive too. A keeper ! dancing
13 July 2009, 20:29
Gatogordo
How do you like/rate the 3V, and why did you choose it over 30V......this is not at all argumentative, but for my personal information. I've got one in 90V which has served well for limited use but the grind lines are wrong, meaning too thick, and I haven't taken it down yet to really check it out.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
14 July 2009, 06:55
mete
One reason to get the knife was to test CPM 3V.I also wanted a chopper.3V has very high toughness and at the same time very high wear resistance.These two properties aren't usually found together .S30V doesn't do as well there. I worked with the maker and discussed the finer points of HT and grinding [ a bear in the heat treated condition !] with one of the earliest users Jerry Hossom. The toughness to me calls for a chopper.I've only had it for a week .I spent Saturday chopping brush and saplings .Weight and balance are perfect for this. I don't expect I'll need to sharpen very often !! As a metallurgist my interest is in the many fine steels available today.Crucible especially has been very helpful to knife makers .Working with a custom maker means you can input your ideas for materials and design to get ,for you, a perfect knife. Smiler
I should add that I'm on a number of the knife forums teaching makers about metallurgy ,how to HT steels so they can make better knives.
15 July 2009, 05:39
winbag338
quote:
Originally posted by HTR30CAL:
who makes the best knives
Falkniven-bark river-scrapyard will provide the best performance for the money,and will out perform many knives costing much more.
16 July 2009, 04:56
Alberta Canuck
The best hunting knife I've had was made by a fellow just about 13 miles up the North Umpqua River from me. First name is Bill, but I've known him so long I've completely forgotten his last name...his post office address is Glide, Oregon. Cost me $300 about 12-14 years ago.

I asked him to make a copy of a Morseth Cascade Skinner from his own Damascus steel. (He smelts/forges all his own Damascus.) It is plain looking as to shape but the steel figure is really complex and beautiful. Plus it holds an edge like no other I have had.

My 2nd best for a hunting knife was made by a fellow in Northern Alberta from a plain old piece of plywood planer blade. It also holds a razor edge very well, but chips too easily for all-around use in the woods.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

24 August 2009, 03:48
Mitch1352
Alberta Canuck, could it be Bill Harsey?
22 January 2010, 06:58
Trouthunter
Is any knife really worth waiting 5 years for?  

Yes.
26 January 2010, 07:48
Use Enough Gun
Carlton Evans knives. I have two of them and another one being made. Fantastic knives!
26 January 2010, 09:51
Big Bore Productions
Ditto on Carlton Evans. He and his wife Pauline are great to work with, and his knives are built to use in the field.

www.bigboreproductions.com
27 January 2010, 06:26
Watson Lake
Check out these knives by George Roberts.

www.banditblades.com

Watson Lake
27 January 2010, 11:32
John Frederick
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
Check out these knives by George Roberts.

www.banditblades.com

Watson Lake

Thanks, worth the look.
27 January 2010, 17:58
DuggaBoye
An inexpensive (as customs go) and great knife made with hunters and hunting use in mind --
Mike Stanley, Texas City, Texas

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI