THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    need reference for putting handles on blade

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need reference for putting handles on blade
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a blade and 2 nice slabs of dark horn. Tang has 2 holes. ...need someone who can remove handle material to appropriate shape and dimensions....put a couple of rivets across ....and connect all. These components are NOT costly.....I just need a neat job done. Please, can you folks suggest someone to do the job??
Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be to search locally. Gun/Knife shows are the obvious source. I knew a guy in the local gun shop who did a lot of knife work.

The cost in production is in the hand work. It's not in the materials.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
conifer go to Knifedogs.com Great bunch of very helpful folks over there.
I am sure that you will be able to find someone in your neck of the woods to help you.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS!!....for the suggestion. I will follow it.
15 minutes later.....GREAT forum (Knifedogs) ...have written to a possible choice for my knife-handling.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Glade that I could help. I spend at least an hour total each day at knifedogs

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
If the knife Dog Forums does not pan out contact Darrin Sanders at WWW.Bladeforums.com
I know he has re-handled several knives for folks and he does good work and it resonable priced. Tell Darrin, Johnny Warner recommended him.My the way I love sheep horn material, I hope the horn is not bison as it has a tendency to check, shrink and crack in arrid conditions.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent the materials to a builder.....he reported that the (water buffalo) scales were warped.....put them in a press for 2 days.....warp reduced.....he is trying to finish them and apply to the blade tang. We will see.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
(water buffalo) scales were warped.....

Buffalo horn is known for that. Unfortunatly.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
I received the finished product in today's mail....a beautiful and careful job by James White of Martinsville, Indiana.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Photos please.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well done. That horn is really nice.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Glad you are pleased. Not to rain on your parade but I would bet the buf horn will eventually warp somewhat and pull away from the tang. Hopefully your knife will be the exception.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote