New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Randall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy of mine (40+) years;decided that he would have Randall build me a knife. 5 years in the making + this the Rolls-Royce of knives.My sons are ecstatic;will post pics. asap.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
A.G. Russell

http://www.agrussell.com/knive...l-made-knives/c/522/

Has Randall in stock, delivery in about 6 weeks, if they have it in inventory. If not in inventory, maybe 6 months. They order years in advance, attempt to keep their supply on hand.

A bit more money, but not anything like the current 5 to 7 yr. waiting list.

Which model did you get? And let's see some photos!

I keep changing my mind about which pattern to order, but leaning toward the No. 1 Border Patrol, micarta scales.

Special #1 Fighter with Border Patrol Handle

The Model 1 is still Randall's most popular model. As has been the case since the 1940s, when Bo Randall made knives for World War II troops, they still focus very heavily on soldiers going into active combat. Any time I get into a discussion about Randall knives with a group of troops, either 20 years old or 70 years old, one of them will have a story about how they either visited the Randall shop, wrote a letter or made a phone call, and Randall managed to get a knife to them before they were deployed.

The Model 16SP #1 is a variation of that original Model 1. This is a serious knife with a 7" blade of 1/4" stainless steel with a Border Patrol handle of Green Linen Micarta® and a brass double guard. The top edge of the blade is sharpened approximately 3". (Can be special ordered with top edge unsharpened.) Measures 11-1/2" tip to butt and weighs 14.0 oz. Includes a model A leather sheath with stone pouch on the front. No one includes a higher quality sheath with their knives than Randall. Handmade in the U.S.A.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Nordic Knives, nordicknives.com. They will order just about any Randall made, along with some that are "non catalogued". I believe the current delivery time is April or May of this year. I have bought sold and traded Randalls with Dave for many years and it is a great company to deal with. If it is a special order knife, the delivery time may be greater, but nowhere near 5 years. The prices are higher, but to me it is worth it to pay extra and not have to wait 5 years....I ain't getting any younger!!

Posts: 1637 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this in March, 2011 but I am repeating it for those, like me, who are not patient and want a Randall.

quote:
I'm posting this for general information's sake. I have absolutely nothing to do with this seller HERE and, while his reputation is excellent, as in all cases, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

There are other ways and places to get a new, or used, for that matter, Randall quicker but the current delivery date from Randall is January 2016.

You can order most Randall knives from the catalog thru this seller and get them in January 2012, according to seller, which I am sure is accurate, AT CATALOG PRICES FOR THAT YEAR. True you can get them from Randall at current (2011)catalog prices by ordering now with a $50 deposit but that's in 2016. Personally I'm way too impatient to order anything and have to wait 5 years. YMMV, but this is a viable option for those who want what is probably the most recognized semi-custom knife name in the world 4 years sooner.

You can get instant gratification for about $100 extra or so in several other places but this is about as close to factory prices and shorter times as you're going to get.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I bought a Randall 19-5 Bushmaster stag/stainless off Ebay last week. Paid $514 shipped as opposed to $465 plus shipping plus 4 1/2 year wait from Randall. Made sense to me.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
nordicknives.com

Nordicknives looks like a great site. Lots of selection in Randall, along with other brands, custom "edged tools."

AG Russell gets some good reviews here, and carries Randall.

Locally there's a shop with a vintage Randall, circa 1970's Model 1 I believe. He wants $1500 for it.

In the meantime, I have a Camillus brand "Air Force Survival" I found at the local PX a few years back. Snapped it up! And of course as soon as I did (should have bought 5 of them!) they stopped stocking them, or can't get them. About $20, and it's one of the knives that I actually use, rather than just having it sit in a collection. (Although they're discontinued I think and likely collectable.)

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 randalls a newer one (purchased on ebay)with the border patrol handle. The steel quality is good , it sharpens well and holds edge well. This is not their stainless blade. The handle fit is good, but the grind is uneven and poor craftsmanship for a knife of this price level. It was so poor that I use for what ever task is at hand. When it starts looking bad I just throw it in the sand blast cabinet and clean it up. The other two were purchased from a friend and look brand new and are of real good quailty. He used them for pig killing when out with his pack of dogs. They stay oiled up in the safe.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if anyone is interested in the history of the Randall Knife Company and it's products, you might want to check out the book i have for sale n the classifieds...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13119 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! you simply can't go wrong with a Randall Wink

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my employees gave me a Model 1 Fighter when I retired in June. It was quite a nice surprise.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote