New
Find
Notify
Tools

? Re: Stains from storing in sheath...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a Jack Crain Life Support System 2 survival knife made in '91. Think Arnold in the movie Commando.
At some point it was stored in its sheath for an extended period of time. There are swirls and discolored areas as well as minute flecks and pitting. The flat on one side has the the full name of the knife written ( laser etched?) In 3/8" letters.
I knew all this when I bought it and am wondering if there is some way to clean it up? Thanks-Cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You cannot fill the pits easily (MIG or TiG might work but you might soften the steel in the surrounding area).
Cosmetic stuff can probably polished out with Flitz or jeweler's rouge and a muslin wheel.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions George. I bought it right so I may just fill up the handle with some goodies and strap it to my go bag.

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote