New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skinner's Choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
During the last fifteen years I have spent much of my life in hunting safari camps in Africa. Alot of game has come into camp. I don't skin it. I had a crew of boys trained as skinners at Mweka Wildlife College in Tanzania. The clients gave them hundreds of different kind of knives to skin with. You name the brand. But the one knife the skinners, who actually have to do the work, prefer are the French Opinel folding knives with the carbon and not stainless steel blades.

They are inexpensive, light, safe and its easy to get the soft blades so sharp you can shave with them. As with bolt action rifle actions most expensive is not always best. The Opinel is better than a Buck. The 98 Mauser is better than a Blaser.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted as a chef I've spent too much time sharpening knives. I hate it. The last chefs knife I'd ever use is a Henkle, although I own lots of them they stay in the drawer. The steel is too hard to sharpen using normal methods. I need a knife that has softer steel and is fast to sharpen-victorinox comes to mind. A softish steel takes an incredible edge and is fast to sharpen even on a steel if necesary. For a fighting knife I'd choose a harder steel because it isn't often used for anything else and can stay sharp for a long time in its sheath.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Several years ago my brother gave me a Cold Steel folder that locks like the Opinel. Called the Twistmaster. 4 3/4" Carbon V blade; typical composite black "checkered" Cold Steel handle. Kept it in my hunting pack. First time I used it was a month ago on a red deer and a feral hog, and it was fine. In front of me now and sharp enough to go a few more critters. clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I carry a cold steel master hunter and i have hundreds of knives to choose. Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a taxidermist that takes in around 500 pieces of work a year divided among antelope,elk and deer,plus guides on the side.
Blade of choice a chicago cutlery parring knife and scalpel.

I like both the swedish mora,cold steel and the lowly parring knife mentioned above.

I've lost count of how many people I've run into,that literally make their living with a blade. None of them use what would be considered in the knife world as good or custom knives.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should consider having an AR Opinel knife made. They would cost about 4 euros apiece with the minimum order of 500. Check out the link and click on "cadeaux d'affaires":

http://www.opinel.com/FR/catalogue/index.htm

I'd be willing to buy a dozen since they are delivered in boxes of twelve. Cost would be 48 Euros for a dozen. We would only need to find 42 other buyers of a dozen to make the order. I think they would make excellent gifts to leave behind to the African skinners who take care of our trophies.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote