Find
Notify
Tools

Old Master Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
I am looking to buy a few knives for my boys and wanted to get the same as mine, Master Hunter by Cold Steel with C5 blade. Now the new blades are San Mai III? Are these as good? Better? I was watching ebay and the C5 blades still get a good dollar so if the new ones are good or better then I'll go with that. I can't seem to find any good info on the new steel. I love my old one so if the new ones are better they must be amazing. Thanks for any help.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used one for years in the stainless AUS-8 .That is excellent .I'll see what I can find about San Mai III....The core is VG-1 which has 1.0 C , 14.0 Cr and .03 Mo. Performance is supposed to be close to VG-10 and better than the AUS-8.Of course VG-1 is stainless but I'm sure it will perform similar to C5.I've used the Master Hunter as a hunting knife and my test is to do the whole deer -dressing,skinning, complete butchering . It passes the test with ease !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PoppaW:
I am looking to buy a few knives for my boys and wanted to get the same as mine, Master Hunter by Cold Steel with C5 blade. Now the new blades are San Mai III? Are these as good? Better? I was watching ebay and the C5 blades still get a good dollar so if the new ones are good or better then I'll go with that. I can't seem to find any good info on the new steel. I love my old one so if the new ones are better they must be amazing. Thanks for any help.
I own three very old Carbon V Master Hunters (factory seconds).

Several things about them:
1. Grip is unusually comfortable and secure, especially when hand is greasy.

2. Blade is easy to sharpen and remains sharp.

3. Blade shape is convenient for general usage so long as piercing is not a priority.

4. The sheath (not Kydex®) is s**t.

5. Chemistry of my Carbon V blades is nearly identical with 0170-6. But I'm informed that chemistry may have changed.

6. Carbon V resists corrosion significantly better than its chemistry indicates.
I have Cowry X Damascus blades also. These are superior -- but not close to the cost difference.

I strongly recommend Master Hunters of the era I bought them. If current issue is comparable, save a few bucks and get the factory seconds.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PoppaW, I have a Master Hunter made of San Mai III. It sharpens very well with a darn good edge. But I find after field dressing one deer or antelope that it is done. Mine dulls very fast.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's dull after dressing out just two animals ?? That doesn't make sense ,it should be much better than that .I would suspect improper heat treat !!

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I carried a master hunter for years ,and i considered it a very good knife .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote