New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi-annual handle maintenance time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've gotten into the habit of using Spring and Fall time changes as reminders for Johnson's Baby Oil soaks for Ivory, Mammoth, Buffalo handles. Had several soaking for most of the day.

Also slathered oil on some tusks - soaked in so fast I added second coats. Those are gone now too so another coat tomorrow probably wouldn't hurt...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great reminder! Thanks! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
List the reason for using these products again, please.
I have self-made knives with horn (gemsbuck, wildebeest, kudu) and wood (wild olive, sneezewood) for which I use normal furniture oil.
Is baby oil better?
What about the warthog teeth that I have as decoration?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karoo, I'm with you on using furniture oil/wax on wooden handles. I've got a can of past wax that'll probably last forever

I first got the baby oil recommendation many years ago in Botswana from from the folks shipping my risks. They made the point that periodic oiling was important anywhere, but especially so in dry environments. Ivory, horn and antler all lose moisture and shrink over time, and cracking usually comes with the shrinking...

Good hunting,
Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Emory
I live in a semi-desert and so this is useful information.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote