The Accurate Reloading Forums
My nephew turns ten, Case Hobo

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/7371043731

30 July 2010, 12:29
Dago Red
My nephew turns ten, Case Hobo
Hey guys,

When my nephew was born, the first boy of the next generation (and until my other nephew was born just over a year ago the only boy out of 5! I have two nieces, two daughters, and the lone boy)

when he was born I bought him a case hobo, in the collectors tin, the one with natural sambar stag handles, and stainless metal work. Tomorrow night I will give it to him. I found out that he's already got some pocket knives, but I remember being 10 when I received my first one on a birthday (which I still have incidentally, 23 years later. by the way, berrymen will mess up plastic handles).

I made a commitment to myself to buy him a knife a year to give him when he was 18, 17 more knives. I'm very much behind now (I haven't bought a new knife in years). but I guess he does have the collecting bug. talking to my stepbrother the other day he said he has a few and has built a box/case for them.

anyways, I'm very excited about this. it's the one with just a blade and fork. but they're 80+ new it looks like. I think I paid about 50 at the time.

Now, I subscribe to the tradition of giving a coin to the person that gives you a knife. should I teach him this tradition or does it not matter?

Red
16 August 2010, 08:32
Trouthunter
Good for you! Keep it up as I did the same with my son, both with guns and knives...one of each every year since he was born lol. My wife think's I'm a nut.

The coin for a knife or the friendship is cut is a very old tradition...explain it to him or not, your choice.
16 August 2010, 11:39
ikesdad
An excellent choice of knives for the young one.

......civilize 'em with a Krag
18 August 2010, 21:26
Dago Red
Thanks guys, he liked it, I didn't tell him about the coin thing as it was so chaotic. I can't wait till my girls get old enough to start getting their own.