Notify
Tools

Manton knife?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I've looked at this knife for years on lewis drake site

manton knife

I love this thing (the blade, the handle I'm not so hot on) but it's way too expensive for me, I don't need damascus. Anybody seen this blade style somewhere else?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned in the description, that shape is called a spear point. It is basically an old bowie variant style that was used mostly for fighting/defense in the 19th century. It is probably not the most useful shape for hunting (or defense for that matter) uses but it will certainly work. Another problem with the shape is that often they are double edged which is illegal in some states (Texas among them). OTOH there is a big advantage to having a double edged knife, twice as much use before you really have to sharpen it.

All that said, that's a fine looking knife. Steketee (stek knives)out of Montana will likely make you one out of his damascus for that price or less and you can design it to your tastes.

I know where there is a very good, probably more usable example out of S30V by a very widely respected blade smith with the same blade shape but shorter (just under 6 inches). I've been seriously considering it but the blade shape and cost has stopped me from buying it (like I need another knife anyway). I'm still thinking on it, but if you want to PM me I'll give you the details and you can decide if you want it with no hard feelings at all on my part. Of course being one steel, it doesn't have the visual ummmph of damascus but will perform better. Just to be clear, this is not my knife, nor do I have anything to do with the seller.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive cold steel makes one a lot like or use too.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I'd love to see the other one. If you could PM me details. I'm not in the market to buy, some work stuff is up in the air right now. I would prefer non-damascus, I want something affordable that I am not afraid to mess around with. I know the design isn't practical (hell, I had a big Marbles bowie with 10" blade, more practical design but the size is completely over the top) but it sure is cool. Big Grin

What do you think the blade length is on the one in the picture anyways, about 8"?

I believe cold steel made a double edged knife called the tai pan, the blade shape has more taper at the point rather than rounding, and it doesn't have the fuller which I find extra cool looking.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago:

The knife I was referring to is off the market or sold, not sure which, and was fairly expensive (more than $300).

I'd think the blade length on the Manton imitation knife is 8 to 8 1/2 inches. Most handles on larger knives are at least 4 1/2 to 5 inches so that would leave the blade as you guessed, about 8.

In the meanwhile, completely unrelated to this thread I bought what I think is a way cool Stek knife on ebay which is fairly close to your "Manton" but without the fuller. I kind of fell into collecting Stek knives because he generally makes a good looking product which can be purchased fairly reasonably. He makes his own damascus. I don't know but I strongly suspect that the "Manton" knife blank is made somewhere in Asia. There are several places that sell the "Mantons", some of them in Europe. I have quite a few Stek Bowies. IMO I bought this one dirt cheap. Here's a link to the auction with pics.......Stek knife

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is really cool!!! How good an edge will it take? will it hold? or is it purely looks. I'd love to see more of the ones you have.

Red

-Winston Churchill