Find
Notify
Tools

Knife handle material
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
After a great deal of time and expense the box finally arrived from South Africa with the giraffe bone and impala horn. Much of this is preordered for 7 giraffe bone and three impala horn handled knives but expect to have sufficient left for other orders in the near future.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
They look great and please keep us posted with what happens.
I am a beginner knife maker with much potential handle material but relatively little equipment. I am experimenting with antelope and other horn and so am very intrigued by it all.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I decided to cut the giraffe bone (or most of it) today to get enough for the knives that are ordered. All of the bones had one end cut off (to facillitate the process for export) so I marked the bone off in 5 inch lengths and cut them with the metal cutting bandsaw.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The knob end still had some of the porpous honeycomb type bone and was not usable but I got 4 good engths from each of the arger bones. One side of all the bones was too thin for the knife handles but may work for pocketknives which I do not do. I have a guage for the other bandsaw that I use for cutting the scale thicknesses so set to (having the apropriate breathing gear on as there is a lot of dust made and floating in the air.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I managed to get three pieces plus core waste from the larger bones but just two from the smaller ones.
With enough cut for these ones. From the right is a Lion knife, 6 Safari knives and a Light Hunter. The last Safari knife (marked on the taped blade is to be this years knife giveaway and will have curve backed buffalo horn bolsters where the rest will be full giraffe bone handles.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Having done that and having three of the Light hunters to do with the Impala horn handles I had a serious look at and some research on the usual handles done with this material and many are in fact bone jiged to resemble the horn so I found where the old time horners(those who work with the horn) would heat the horn to near 350F and it would become pliable so I did that and have it clamped flat so will see in the morning how it has reacted to this procedure. The orders are for handles from the horn that Tony had hunted and wanted for his sons so as there was a set of extra horns in the box I cut these first to check the process.
Cutting the appropriate length from the smaller set

Splitting them lengthwise and removing the core which is dried and loose inside.

Ready for heating and clamping flat

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a pair of grips for my Colt Officer out of giraffe leg bone that came out really nice. Most people that see them think they are ivory. They seem to be holding up quite well.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
They do make an impressive handle C.G.B. Either creamy white from the inner part of the bone or with beautiful character marking if from the outer part if it has been weathered for a while.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff, I would like to see your progress with those impala horns and how you fill in the void. I have lots of such horns and need some tips.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for starting this. I really enjoy WIP threads.

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonderful stuff Gary! What is it about giraffe bone that makes it desirable for knife handles compared to, say, camel? Density?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Wonderful stuff Gary! What is it about giraffe bone that makes it desirable for knife handles compared to, say, camel? Density?

The density of the giraffe bone is much higher than any other Bill. The colour throughout the bone changes as does the character marks depending on how close the finished piece was taken from the marrow side or the outside of the bone I love the cramy splotches that are often present with the background drying also showing through.
I sent these off to my agent today with half staying in the US while the others head to PH's in Africa. There are 6 of these Safari knives but one of the handle wasn'y completed when I took the pictures.

A Lion knife and a Light Hunter

and another Safari Hunter with curve backed buffalo horn bolsters with the giraffe bone as this years giveaway on anther forum.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
A few more on the bench. The impala horn has given me a bit of difficulty trying to work out the best way to use it but bit the bullet on the horns today and made a start. cut what I expected to be able to use from the trophy horns a friend sent but had to get one handle from a spare horn that came with them so they were all of a similar size and shape. Because the horn has a gold tone to the base I decided to use a piece of NZ Rimu on the front of the handle to simulate this with a piece of ebony for the pomel cap. I will use pieces of wood to fill much of the void with epoxy to hold it all in place and pin the tang but this is going to be a slower build than usual. It is for the sons of a very good friend and has been on the books for quite a while as we waited for the horn to arrive with the recent giraffe bone shipment.
Once cut to length I heated the horn in boiling water till it softened and clamped the ends flat against pegs I shaped for the purpose.

All set now for some fitting of the various parts to eventually have something that resembles a knife for these special young men.

So from the three impala horn Light hunters there is a new skinner for me (I gave the last ones away) with copper and giraffe bone, a skinner with acacia for the farmer where I get my lambs, G/bone Safari knife, Hunter skinner with buffalo horn and a damascus hunter skinner with buff horn and macrocarpa.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Made some progress on these today..

I decided to use a NZ Rimu for the front plug bolster and I will use ebony for the pommel plug.

Fitting the plug reminded me a lot of the similar process when fitting the butt socket for the Magazine Lee Enfirld when making the Lee Speed type stocks.

Von Gruff.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Wow, please keep posting.

I am more of CNC and 3D printing guy, so maybe it is stupid question: You have to cut flat pieces from bone, because there is no filler, right?

How do you get that nice curve/joint between bone and horn? It is first filled and glued and later attached to blade or how?

Thank you for answers
Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Wow, please keep posting.

I am more of CNC and 3D printing guy, so maybe it is stupid question: You have to cut flat pieces from bone, because there is no filler, right?

How do you get that nice curve/joint between bone and horn? It is first filled and glued and later attached to blade or how?

Thank you for answers
Jiri

I am not sure what you are refering to Jiri but expect it is the curve backed buffalo horn bolster with the giraffe bone scales

If it is this then I have done a full work in rogress thread on another forum that I could C&P here . This is the Old Western with Swamp Kauri over curve back SS bolsters on the SS Damascus blade.

Von Gruff.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gary, thanks for the explanation on the giraffe bone. Looks like wonderful scale material. I am also quite impressed with the impala horn handles. Hard to lose your grip with one of those. Magic happens in your hands.
Blessings, Bill

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That Damascus is a beautiful piece of art.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff

Yes, I am referring to curve backed buffalo horn bolster with the giraffe bone scales and how do you make things like this.

Thank you
Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Finally finished the impala horn handled knives and quite pleased with the result. I used rimu as the bolster with a piece of black G10 facing and ebony for the pommel.

The ebony pommel was treated like the bolster end and socketed into the horn end with the threaded rod drilled into the ebony to create another gripping surface for the epoxy.

I added black dye to the epoxy and waited for everything to set up overnight.

This gave me the basis for the handle so a shaping session was next.

And with a fine sand and buffed it was time to add the finish to the resulting handle.

Looking from underneath or the blade edge side

and from the top or spine side.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Von Gruff

Yes, I am referring to curve backed buffalo horn bolster with the giraffe bone scales and how do you make things like this.

Thank you
Jiri

I will post the W I P thread from another forum on the process Jiri. It is a SS bolster and Swamp Kauri handle,but the proocess is the same as it is for the buffalo horn and graffe bone.

Von Gruff.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I am very interested in the procedure.

BTW You are using belt grinder or wheel grinder? Finished by fine sand paper in hand?

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I dropped an impala skull in the kitchen and ended up with two horns.

I wasn't sure where the bone was inside, so I cut them into knife sized chunks and thought, well I wonder what would happen if I steamed them?

So I steamed them soaked them in epoxy on the bottom and put them in a vice with some wax paper to flatten them.

They made nice handles. But I lost 2/3rds of them to cracking during the steaming.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I had mine in boiling water for 15-20 minutes and there was no loss due to cracking doing it this way. To get rid of the pedicle I drilled a 1/2 in hole through it and then made a step at the thin end so I could put a bolt head gainst it and give it a wack with a hammer. The first move was only a 1/16 but repeated heating in the boiling water allowed for the removal easily enough.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

I think I over boiled them for sure.

Next time I am fat with impala horn I'll give it another go.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote