New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome to Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple years a go an acquaintance who also happens to be a knife-maker saw a few pix of one of my Menefee “Lil Dumplin” and asked me to send him a sketch.

I did.

Fast forward two years or so and I got a text with pix showing a couple he had fashioned off the sketch I sent. I asked him to send me one.

I’m glad to welcome a j_elky # 18 to Texas.

Well dang me, no perforatin' hoglets till early next month, and the coyote, buck and hoglet skullz I need to skin out are in the freezer.

So whats a knife-slut to do.

Carve sumpin' up.

Picked this up yesterday at the post office around noon IIRC.

Get the lard out. Sounds like good advice.

I stopped and picked up this Boston Butt pork roast on the way home, plus fixins' for spaghetti made with sweet I-talian sausage.

Mighty fine start, but would not want to over-extend myself so I decided to take a bit of respite to rejuvenate

refreshed and rested it was time to remove the collagen membrane from the sausage, and chop up the onion, garlic, parsley and bell pepper for the 'Sketti'.

I put the pork butt in the smoker at 7:30 last nite and pulled it out about 10:30.

So, 15 hours of smoke and an hour to rest in a warm crock-pot and Voila!

pulled pork with plenty of "bark".

Thanks J., think I'm gonna enjoy this one, not only in the kitchen!

ya!

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
nice one
the roast looks good also lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB, you kill me. I’m coming out there soon.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking knife. Better looking pork butt!

I am glad I am not hungry right now,

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great photos as usual, Geedub! That puerco has me drooling.
What did you think of the Black Quad?
beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Great photos as usual, Geedub! That puerco has me drooling.
What did you think of the Black Quad?
beer

First, sorry for the tardy response, but I've been in time out three times over the last couple weeks. Seems my editorializing from a certain perspective is not appreciated.

Its hard to say which of the three in the pix is my favorite. I like them all.

Ordinarily I buy two 24 ounce bottles. Heck of a deal @$5.99 each. Instead of ice cream or desert, I'll have one while surfing the net of an eve.

Recently I was able to score two sixes that had two of each. That was sweet.

BTW,

by any chance have you tried one of the Texas sweets, and did you find them palatable.

I hate recommending stuff to folks.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
There is now a total plethora of micro breweries here in central Texas + they are putting out great product.A lot to choose from. Dub,I have not tried the sweets as that has never been to my taste. I could be wrong;I won't pass judgement on something I have'nt tried. Let us not forget the West Texas wine industry,that is booming as well.Along those same lines (+ here I ask anyone with more knowledge than me to step in + relate all the true facts) several years ago the French were having a root destroying problem in their vinyards + needed new tolerant root stock to graft to theirs that could survive.Long story short ,they found that the Texas Mustang grape was hearty + impervious to their particular 'disease'.Thus when ever you are drinking a french wine,know that you are also drinking a Texan.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Geedub, I have yet to light one of those Texas sweets, but soon. Meanwhile I have found the cheap Finck cigar cutter works just dandy for unzipping bananas. Do I see a Tickle Me Elmo in the upper left of the third image?

hilbily

Randy, I wonder if that is phylloxera you are referring to -- devastating to vineyards.
We are seeing more microbreweries here in New Mexico, and although I have not sampled widely, I have been disappointed. Most recently, I ordered Scottish Ale from High Desert Brewing in Las Cruces, and it had a faint off-taste that made me think I was downwind of a large Rio Grande dairy ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Geedub, I have yet to light one of those Texas sweets, but soon. Meanwhile I have found the cheap Finck cigar cutter works just dandy for unzipping bananas. Do I see a Tickle Me Elmo in the upper left of the third image?

hilbily

ya!

GWB

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Geedub, you are one of a kind, sir!

rotflmo

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
dancingLooks like a party at Gdubs casa.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote