Notify
Tools

Ferro-Titanit
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
What do you think about this material ?

Now, many kitchen knives are made from ceramic (Kyocera) or Cera-Titan (Boker). But this material is easy heat treatable, it is delivered annealed, so machining could be relative easy. It is not as brittle as ceramic, with incredible wear resistance (edge holding). Price is about 500 Euro/kg. It is expensive but it is less dense than steel and for kitchen knife you need for example only 100 grams or so. Of course diamond sharpening is neccesary.

I belive Ferro Titanit C-Special or WFN should be used.

http://www.ferro-titanit.com/pdf/ferro_compl_engl.pdf

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talonite would be included in this group too. I wonder if the Nikro 143 would be better since it would be much easier to heat treat and according to the information would resist some bending.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Talonite would be included in this group too. I wonder if the Nikro 143 would be better since it would be much easier to heat treat and according to the information would resist some bending.

I belive it will be better because of its much harder (stronger) matrix (no tip or edge bending like with talonite).

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote