New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-buyer's remorse.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A Heritage auction went off today, and, for that matter is still going off as I write this, which had a very interesting small selection of deaccessions from the Toledo Museum of Nat. History. Among them was a fair number of items from the personal collection of Carl Akeley.

I was lucky or dumb, depending on how you look at it, enough to get a few items, but I really wanted this knife. However, I figured, with no provenance that it was worth about maybe $100-150, so with the provenance of Carl Akeley, I put my firm bid with a push at $400. It blew past that and I pushed to $500 (these prices are hammer, then you have to add the outrageously high buyer's premium of 25%), long hesitation and another bidder bid $550. I passed but now wish I hadn't. After all how many times can you get a machete type knife that was possibly used and definitely owned by a contemporary of T. Roosevelt and one of the founder's of modern taxidermy? Not often, and I wish I had pushed another $50 now. Oh well......here's a link to the knife but it won't have prices without being a Heritage member, final price was $687.50.

Akeley knife

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
That is why auctions are so dangerous! I have suffered the same remorse, but have also been in regret over others.

Link is to a short sword.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True, but I learned the auction business mostly by buying coins at them. Coin auctions are unlike almost any others. They have hundreds of lots to sell and, with the rare exceptions of the million dollar plus coins, sell them in a hurry, usually running about 100 to 150 lots/hour. This speed makes it essential to have a max bid written down, with or without a push because, if you don't, often the coin is sold before you can decide whether to bid again or not. The complications come in when you have an item like the above, where the value is rather nebulous and you have to think on the fly. But, like you said, it cuts both ways. I had my max bid with a push, and kept to it, but it was too low in retrospect. My bad. Confused

All was not lost tho, a couple of lots later there was a kind of cool Maasai ax/cutter and I got it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea it would have been nice to get that. But in the long run it is better to keep your self-discipline at auctions. (says the compulsive impulse buyer)

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was watching that auction as well. Like you I passed on some items I really wanted. Mixed emotions, but once I added in the buyers premiums it just went too high too fast.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Gato I think you did the right thing, you can always second guess that the other person was going to stop in another $50 but one never knows, maybe this was just like grampas knife and he just got his Christmas bonus.

Now the one place where the potential does exist is if you wanted it but only made a casual decision about how much you could spend on it. Setting a personal limit of XX and letting it go after that you can't really kick yourself for, now if you realize after the fact you were subconsciously willing to bid XX +$150 or something then that is something to meditate about for the next time.

Me, I have gotten hung up at farm auctions and paid too much for stuff so now I always set a mental price that I really think about beforehand, but when that price comes and goes I don't ever let myself change my mind.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7753 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The knife in question was donated to a Toledo Museum and they are selling it for the cash.

Instead of giving stuff to Museum’s, how about selling these things direct to collectors through the numerous electronic auction sites, and spare us the “buyer’s premium” of the auction house?

If you want to donate to a Museum, give them cash, some of the things they take in they have to ruin. Museums are required to permanently dewat guns. All those historic guns they have, they are welded or ruined in some permanent fashion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see, you take a historic piece and actually ruin it. That makes absolutely no sense. I assume of course you are talking public museums. There are of course firearms museums out there. Does the same mandate apply to them?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it depends on local laws and insurance, but when I asked the local veterans museum, they had to dewat all of the firearms.

My recollection reading about the theft of Theodore Roosevelt's pistol from a museum, the article stated that the pistol had been rendered permanently inoperative.

Just go to a museum and ask if the firearms are fully functional.

One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, I've seen bidders in the heat of the auction make offers that the later dearly regret.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Yea it would have been nice to get that. But in the long run it is better to keep your self-discipline at auctions. (says the compulsive impulse buyer)

and

On the other hand, I've seen bidders in the heat of the auction make offers that the later dearly regret.

Auctions can be worse than alcohol, narcotics or even sex.

When the shirt that James Gandolfini wore when he (Tony Soprano) got shot went up for auction I was ravid and bid up to $5000. Fortunately I had a lucid moment and stopped.

And don't forget the other hidden fee for winning....the Cruella DeVille and/or boss tax. Yes, I wish I could have bought it, but no regrets. Of course that is tempered by the fact that I would have been paying for said item over and over and over on a daily basis forever...........

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote