New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double edge razors
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Does anyone else shave with a double edge razor? I've been shaving with them for about 8 years now. They require a bit more finesse and for gods sake don't try to shave in a hurry but with a bit of care you can really get an unbeatable shave, and a 10 pack of blades at walmart is only $1.50.

I also have a couple of straight razors that I'm comfortable using but to be honest they take a little too much effort and concentration to use on a daily basis.

Anyone else?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I like a straight razor shave and enjoy the time it takes. I consider it self pampering. I found a straight razor that uses disposable blades. No sharpening, keeps it simple. I learned how years ago and treat myself to a shave a couple of times a week. It's not esy to master but when you do it's worth the time it takes.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxfire:
I like a straight razor shave and enjoy the time it takes. I consider it self pampering. I found a straight razor that uses disposable blades. No sharpening, keeps it simple. I learned how years ago and treat myself to a shave a couple of times a week. It's not esy to master but when you do it's worth the time it takes.

Scares the hell outta me lol. My wife got me an electric razor last year that I hate but use to keep her quiet.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Does anyone else shave with a double edge razor? I've been shaving with them for about 8 years now. They require a bit more finesse and for gods sake don't try to shave in a hurry but with a bit of care you can really get an unbeatable shave, and a 10 pack of blades at walmart is only $1.50.

I also have a couple of straight razors that I'm comfortable using but to be honest they take a little too much effort and concentration to use on a daily basis.

Anyone else?

I started "wet shaving" a couple of months ago with a double edge razor and a badger brush and some good English shaving cream. I fancy Geo. F. Trumper's violet shave cream and Taylor of Old Bond Street avocado shave cream matched with a Merkur German razor. It does take longer to shave but feels great. The badger shaving brush carries a lot of hot water to make the lather and exfoliates the skin as well. The Merkur razor is a heavy razor and requires no pushing down of the razor just pulling it across your face. Finish that off with a cold water splash and a after shave lotion and you're good to go for the day.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
This post made me take out the old double edge blade and give it a whirl again. Normally I used a disposable and the straight razor either alone or in tandem.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the double razor. Maybe I need different blades or a diffent style but it doesn't seem to get it done. I have an adjustable so i tinkered with that and still don't care for it.
I like the straight razor shave it works for me. The areas that are hard to get or take a pint of blood to get i finish off with a disposable razor.

I know the double edge blade is suppose to give a great shave maybe i need to invest some time in it to see if it gets better with age.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading these posts awhile back, I dug out my old double edge but cant find blades anywhere.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I never use them but I do like an old fashioned shave with a straight razor. If I can find an old Italian barber who does not know my past history, I can lay back an enjoy that pleasure.
If he starts licking his lips as he strokes the blade on that leather strap, I get real nervous..... Roll Eyes

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ikesdad:
After reading these posts awhile back, I dug out my old double edge but cant find blades anywhere.

Walmart has 10 blades for $1.76 that are stainless Personna. They don't seem to last too long though, around 5 shaves per blade, but alas the blades are cheap.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I have two double eddge razors, I use em both one after the other, as although sharp to start with one won't get the job done, tried an electric one as a youth, haven't tried one since, I one time got a straight razor shave off a apprentice lady barber it lasted a full week!, I had to ignore the other learners shaving balloons in the next shop! jumping

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a double edge razor but lost it ( mabe it was the kids ) I found that if I kept the head in a small glass of whter the blade would last much longer ( two or three weeks ).

Posts: 11 | Location: N.C. | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lostchild:
I had a double edge razor but lost it ( mabe it was the kids ) I found that if I kept the head in a small glass of whter the blade would last much longer ( two or three weeks ).

I can't remember the source (it was British) but they did an endurance test for razor blades back in the day of double razors. By a margin of many to one, the best lubricant for shaving comfort and blade endurance was common motor oil. It seems that all blades dull from corrosion long before whiskers wear the edge. IIRC, blades used with motor oil kept sharp for something close to six months. Of course, then you gotta clean up, but them are the facts.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this thread motivated me to get another double edge razor. I used one for several years in the late 80s/early 90s but gave them up when blades became hard to find. (The Gillette Super Blue blades were the best.)

Knifecenter carries razors and blades. After three days of trying to shave as fast as I could and bleeding like a stuck pig I slowed down enough not to cut myself, and now I remember why I liked the double edge razor so much. The shave is great and the blades are cheap.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote